Which Businesses Must Register

Whether a business that provides or offers to provide architecture services in Delaware is required to file an application for a Delaware Certificate of Authorization depends on the classification of the business. Even if the business is not required to file an application, the business must provide a statement to the Board office certifying to its status.

IF the business is a…


AND a Certificate of Authorization application is…

Sole Proprietorship

the owner owns and controls the business and practices (or offers to practice) architecture only under his or her own name

not required . However, the owner must submit a statement to the Board office certifying that the business is a sole proprietorship or equivalent.

Sole Member Limited Liability Company

the business is equivalent to a Sole Proprietorship

  • Partnership
  • “S” Corporation
  • “C” Corporation
  • Limited Liability Company
  • Limited Liability Partnership
  • one or more of the officers, partners, members or managers who is a licensed architect must be designated as responsible for any architecture services on behalf of the business entity
  • all personnel of the business who act in its behalf as architects in Delaware or for clients located in Delaware must be registered architects

required . Follow the instructions below to apply.

Requirements for All Applicants

  • File this application when a business is required to obtain a Certificate of Authorization.
  • Enclose processing fee by check or money order made payable to “State of Delaware.”
  • Enclose copy of State of Delaware business license issued by the Division of Revenue or the Division of Corporations.
  • Arrange for each designated professional-in-charge to sign and seal an Acknowledgment of Professional in Charge.