Before Applying for a Permit
Before applying for a permit to hold an amateur Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) event, the promoter must obtain the following:
- Approval of a sanctioning body for the matches
- Delaware business license from the Division of Revenue
For more information, see Part D of the Rules and Regulations, Sections 19.0 and 20.0.
Applying for a Permit
The promoter must submit the Permit application and supporting documentation listed below at least 30 days before the event .
- Submit completed, signed and notarized Application to Hold Amateur Mixed Martial Arts Event .
- Enclose non-refundable processing fee by check or money order made payable to “State of Delaware.”
- Submit a copy of insurance cards or other documents covering the scheduled event, officials and each participant.
- Complete and enclose Bond Form following instructions on the form.
- Promoter is required to post a bond in the amount not less than $5,000.
- The surety company must be authorized to do business in Delaware.
- Attach approval form/letter provided by sanctioning body.
- Confirm that all fighters have a national MMA ID card/number from their state of residence. If a fighter who resides in Delaware does not have a card/number, follow the instructions on the Application for Mixed Martial Arts National Identification Card.
- Send the application, fee and supporting documentation to the attention of Combative Sports at the Division's address.
Additional Information to Provide to Sanctioning Body
The promoter must also provide the sanctioning body with proof that he/she has:
- Hired two EMT’s, one of whom is a paramedic, with life-saving equipment and life-saving medicines
- Hired one or more Delaware-licensed physicians to conduct pre- and post-fight physicals and to be on-site during and directly after the event
- Hired security personnel to maintain order and provide for safety during and after the event
- Purchased liability insurance per the requirements of the venue
For more information, see Part D of the Rules and Regulations, Sections19.0 and 20.0.
During the Event
Representatives of the Division of Professional Regulation and the sanctioning body will be present during the event.
You are required to make the following supplies available at the event:
- Fight gloves (new, 7-oz., approved by sanctioning body)
- Shin/In-step guards
- Duct tape
- Gauze (one-inch width) and adhesive (one-inch width) for fighter wraps
- Disposable gloves for corner persons
- Water for all fighters and officials
- Clean water buckets
- Stools for both corners
- Hand sanitizer at the equipment table
- Over-the-counter pregnancy tests for any female contestants
For more information, see Part D of the Rules and Regulations, including Sections 3.0, 7.0, 18.0 and 20.0.
You are required to reimburse the sanctioning body for any random drug testing conducted on-site that it deems necessary.