When to File an Application
File an application when:
- you are opening a new private school that will offer a program on any discipline regulated by the Board of Cosmetology and Barbering
- the ownership of an existing licensed school is changing (regardless of whether the school’s name is changing).
- an existing school is changing its name (regardless of whether the school’s owner is changing).
- an existing licensed school is moving to another location.
Before filing an application...
- Obtain a certificate of approval from the Delaware Department of Education. To apply, see Private Business and Trade Schools on the Department of Education's website.
- Obtain a business license from the Division of Revenue for the school. To apply, visit www.revenue.delaware.gov or call 302-577-8778.
- You may be required to obtain a town/city business license for a school operating in its jurisdiction. Contact the town or city for more information.
Requirements for All Applications
- Submit completed, signed and notarized Application for Registration of Private School .
- Enclose processing fee by check or money order made payable to “State of Delaware.” Applications received without the required fee will be rejected.
- Enclose detailed floor plan on 8 ½” x 11” paper or blueprints.
- Enclose a list of the equipment to be used and its location within the school.
- Enclose copy of the school’s Delaware Division of Revenue business license. A business license is required in addition to the professional license.
- Enclose copy of business license issued by city of Wilmington, Dover, Rehoboth Beach or any other municipality that requires a town/city business license.
- Enclose a copy of your Delaware Department of Education certificate of approval.
All persons instructing at the school must hold the appropriate Delaware professional license as an Instructor.
All schools operating in Delaware must comply with the Division of Public Health’s Rules and Regulations on sanitation. See Sanitation Regulations.