Selecting Type of Application
The documentation you must submit with your application depends on whether you are already a registered dietitian with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). Use this table to select the type of application.
are currently a CDR-registered dietitian
have not passed any dietetics/nutrition certification/registration examination OR you have passed a dietetics/nutrition certification/registration examination other than the CDR exam.
hold a current dietitian or nutritionist registration, license or certification issued by another jurisdiction but you are not CDR-registered
Requirements for All Applicants
- Submit completed, signed and notarized application form.
- Enclose non-refundable processing fee by check or money order made payable to “State of Delaware.”
- If you hold, or have ever held, a license, certification or registration as a dietitian or nutritionist in another jurisdiction (state, U.S. territory or District of Columbia), arrange for the Board office to receive verification of each license, certification, or registration that you have ever held, sent directly from each jurisdiction to the Board office.
- I f you have never been issued a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN), submit a Request for Exemption from Social Security Number Requirement .
For additional requirements, see the section below for the type of application you selected.
Additional Requirements for Applications Based on CDR Registration
In addition to the items in Requirements for All Applications, the following are required if the basis of your application is CDR Registration,
- Submit a copy of your current CDR registration card.
- Arrange for the Board office to receive an original or electronic Credential Verification sent directly from CDR to the Board office. To request the Credential Verification, visit the CDR website at www.cdrnet.org.
Additional Requirements for Licensure Based on Examination
In addition to the items in Requirements for All Applications, the following are required if you are applying by Examination.
- Arrange for the Board office to receive official transcript(s), sent directly from the college/university to the Board office.
- The transcript must show that you have a minimum of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in the U.S. and that your major course of study was in human nutrition, nutrition education, food and nutrition, dietetics or food systems management.
- For more information, see 24 Del. C. §3806(a)(1) and (2).
- If you received your nutrition education outside the U.S. or U.S. territories, submit proof (e.g., credential evaluation) showing that it is equivalent to the required U.S. education. For more information, see 24 Del. C. §3806(a)(1).
- Arrange for your supervisor(s) to complete and submit a Supervised Practice Experience Assessment form(s) directly to the Board office.
- The forms must show that you have completed 900 hours of appropriate supervised experience.
- Your supervisor must meet specific qualifications.
- For more information, see 24 Del. C. §3806(a)(3).
- If you have already passed a dietetics/nutrition certification/registration examination(s), arrange for the Board office to receive verification of passing each exam. For example, if you have passed the Certification Board for Nutrition Specialists (CBNS) exam, submit a copy of your CBNS card and arrange for the Board to receive verification of certification sent directly from CBNS to the Board office.
Additional Requirement for Licensure Based on Reciprocity
In addition to the items in Requirements for All Applications, the following are required if you are applying by Reciprocity. To qualify by reciprocity, you must meet both of these criteria:
- You must hold a current dietetics/nutrition license, certification or registration in another jurisdiction.
- At least one jurisdiction where you are currently licensed, registered or certified as a dietitian/nutritionist must have licensure standards at least equal to Delaware’s licensure standards.
Note : If you are CDR-registered, you should apply by CDR Registration instead of Reciprocity because no comparison of laws is required.
- Submit copies of the licensing and/or practice law and regulations pertaining to dietetics/nutrition for each jurisdiction where you are currently licensed. The Board will compare the laws and regulations of Delaware to those of the other jurisdictions.