What is Limited Licensure?
Funeral Director Limited licensure is available only to funeral directors validly licensed by another jurisdiction ( U.S. state, possession, territory or District of Columbia) provided that the jurisdiction where he or she is licensed grants a similar privilege to Delaware-licensed funeral directors (24 Del. C. §3108). Delaware currently has limited licensure agreements only with the States of Maryland and Pennsylvania.
Funeral Director Limited licensure allows the licensee to:
- make a removal of a dead human body in Delaware
- return the body to another state or country
- return dead bodies from another state or country to Delaware for final disposition
- complete the family history portion of the death certificate
- sign the death certificate in his or her capacity as a licensed funeral director
- execute any other procedures necessary to arrange for the final disposition of a dead human body.
Requirements for Limited Licensure Applicants
- Submit completed, signed and notarized Application for Funeral Director Limited Licensure.
- Enclose the non-refundable processing fee for Funeral Director Limited by check or money order made payable to "State of Delaware."
- Arrange for the Board office to receive verification of your current licensure as a funeral service practitioner in either Maryland or Pennsylvania , sent directly from each state to the Board office.
- If you have never been issued a United States Social Security Number (SSN), submit a Request for Exemption from Social Security Number Requirement.