When to Apply
A valid Funeral Establishment Permit issued by the Board of Funeral Services is required to open or operate a funeral establishment in Delaware. This permit is in addition to any business license issued by the Division of Revenue.
Use these instructions to file an application for a(n):
- Initial permit for a new Funeral Establishment
- New permit for a previously licensed Funeral Establishment that is relocating
- New permit for a previously licensed Funeral Establishment that has changed ownership
- Submit a completed, signed and notarized Application for Funeral Establishment Permit .
- Enclose non-refundable processing fee by check or money order made payable to "State of Delaware."
- Enclose a copy of your Delaware Division of Revenue business license for the establishment.
File a new Application for Funeral Establishment Permit when these events occur:
- Ownership of previously licensed funeral establishment changes (even if name remains the same).
- Funeral establishment that was previously licensed moves to a new location.
File a Funeral Establishment Permit Change Request form to report the following events. Use this form only when neither of the events that requires a new application, listed above, has also occurred. No fee is required with this request form.
- The funeral establishment’s name, not its ownership, changes.
- The managing Funeral Director of the funeral establishment changes.