To renew your license, you will be required to attest that you have completed mandatory training required by Delaware law on
- how to recognize child sexual and physical abuse, exploitation and domestic violence, and
- your reporting obligations under the Medical Practice Act and 16 Del. C. §903.
The mandatory training is required by Section 1723 of the Medical Practice Act, effective August 1, 2010. It applies to everyone licensed by the Board of Medical Licensure and Discipline including Physicians Assistants, Respiratory Care Practitioners, Paramedics, Genetics Counselors, Acupuncture Practitioners, Acupuncture Detoxification Specialists, and Polysomnographers as well as Physicians.
The mandatory training has been approved by the Medical Society of Delaware for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit ™.
Where You Can Take the Mandatory Training
The mandatory training must meet the requirements of the Child Protection Accountability Commission (CPAC). You will meet the mandatory training requirement if you:
- Take the online training entitled Medical Professionals Mandatory Reporting Training. An introduction to the training is available at http://courts.delaware.gov/childadvocate/mandatoryreporting.stm
. To register for the training, go to http://ocade.server.tracorp.com/. When you register, select
on the Group Code drop-down.
- Attend an in-person CPAC presentation entitled Child Abuse Identification and Reporting Guidelines for Delaware Medical Providers and Physicians' Duty to Report Unprofessional Conduct. This presentation may be requested as onsite training in physician offices that can guarantee at least 25 participants. To schedule a session, contact Jessica Begley at email@example.com or (302) 255-1746.
Answers to Your Questions
Question: What are the CPAC requirements for the mandatory training?
Answer: To satisfy the mandatory training requirement, online or live training must :
- address how to recognize child abuse and domestic violence,
- provide Delaware-specific information on reporting child abuse, and
- last at least one hour.
Question: Do I have to complete the mandatory training before I renew my license?
Answer: Yes. You must complete the training before every renewal, and you must attest to completing the training on your renewal application. Failure to do so will delay renewal of your license.
Question: Where can I find the law that requires this training?
Answer: Click on License Law and scroll down to §1723. Or, go to www.dpr.delaware.gov – click Medical Practice, then click License Law, then on Subchapter III. When you get to Subchapter III, scroll down to §1723.