An Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) who is approved for independent practice is allowed to practice and prescribe
- outside the employment of an established health-care organization, health-care delivery system, physician, podiatrist, or practice group owned by a physician or podiatrist
- without a collaborative agreement.
The independent practice must be in an area substantially related to the population and focus of the APRN’s education and certification. See 24 Del. C. §1902 (k) and Section 8.17 in the Board’s Rules and Regulations.
When to File Independent Practice Application
- File an application if you:
- already hold an active Delaware APRN license, or
- are applying for Independent Practice and an APRN license simultaneously.
To apply for an APRN license, see Application for Licensure as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse.
- You must file a separate application for each APRN role and population focus where you will be practicing independently.
- You must meet all of the following requirements for the role and population focus for which you are applying:
- Practice as an APRN for at least two years with a collaborative agreement, and
- Practice as an APRN for at least 4,000 hours of clinical APRN practice with a collaborative agreement, and
- Completion of the clinical experience within five years before applying for independent practice.
- Submit a signed, completed Application for Independent Practice as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse.
- Follow instructions carefully. You must answer all questions unless the instruction says to skip them. Do not leave answers blank if the instructions says to enter them. If an answer is “none,” enter None. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
- If you already hold a current Delaware APRN license, enclose the non-refundable independent practice processing fee by check or money order made payable to “State of Delaware".
- If you are simultaneously filing for APRN licensure and independent practice, submit only the processing fee for the APRN license application. The independent practice processing fee is not required when you file both applications at the same time.
- To verify the minimum experience requirement of two years and 4,000 hours of clinical APRN practice, arrange for the Board office to receive the Verification of Experience and Competency form from each collaborator. Your collaborator(s) must complete, sign and submit the form directly to the Board office.