Board of Nursing
861 Silver Lake Blvd.
Dover, DE 19904
NEW RULE REQUIRES CONTINUING EDUCATION ON SUBSTANCE ABUSE: The Delaware Board of Nursing Rules and Regulations now require Registered and Licensed Practical Nurses to complete continuing education (CE) on substance abuse. Starting with your next renewal, at least three of your required contact hours must be in the area of substance abuse. (Section 22.214.171.124.1).
- The CE provider must be an “approved provider” as defined in Section 9.1.1.
- You must earn the contact hours by an “approved method” listed in Section 9.3.
- The specific topic may be one of your choosing. Examples of suggested topics include:
- Chemical dependency and the workplace
- Colleague chemical dependency
- Warning signs of substance use disorder
- Drug diversion
Objective and Function
The primary objective of the Delaware Board of Nursing is to protect the public health, safety and welfare. To meet this objective to safeguard life and health, the Board
- develops standards for professional competency
- promulgates rules and regulations
- adjudicates complaints against professionals and, when necessary, imposes disciplinary sanctions.
The Board issues licenses to registered nurses, practical nurses and advanced practice nurses.
The Board meets the second Wednesday of the month at 9:00 a.m., with the exception of August and December. All meetings are open to the general public and are held in the Cannon Building, 861 Silver Lake Boulevard, in Dover.
To ensure that business (such as a license application) is on the agenda for the Board's consideration at its next meeting, submit all documentation to the Board office no later than 4:30 PM ten full working days before the meeting date.