- If you already hold a current Occupational Therapy license in another jurisdiction and it is the same type of license you’re applying for in Delaware, apply by reciprocity.
- If you do not hold a current license of the same type in another jurisdiction, you must apply by examination.
- Whether applying as an Occupational Therapist (OT) or Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA), a passing score on the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) examination is a requirement for Delaware licensure. This is true whether you’re applying by reciprocity or examination.
- You may file this application before you take the NBCOT examination, but your application cannot be approved until you pass it.
- If you have not already passed the NBCOT examination when you file this application, NBCOT determines your eligibility to sit for the examination based on your education (including education received outside the United States) and your field work experience. To learn about the NBCOT eligibility requirements, visit the NBCOT website.
Requirements for All Applicants
- Enclose processing fee by check or money order made payable to “State of Delaware.” If you hold an active Delaware Occupational Therapist Assistant license and are applying for upgrade to an Occupational Therapist license, enclose the upgrade fee instead of the full processing fee.
- Arrange for the Board office to receive an official score transfer sent directly from NBCOT to the Board office if you took the NBCOT examination before 2007 OR did not designate Delaware to receive your scores.
- If you took the NBCOT examination after 2006 and designated Delaware to receive your scores, the Board office can access your scores online. You do not need to request a score transfer in this situation.
- To request the score transfer online, click NBCOT services and select Official Score Transfer.
- Complete the Criminal History Record Check Authorization form to request State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background checks. Follow the instructions on the authorization form to arrange to be fingerprinted.
- If you have ever held a license in another jurisdiction (state, U.S. territory or District of Columbia), arrange for the Board office to receive verification of licensure from each jurisdiction where you have ever held a license, sent directly from the jurisdiction to the Board office.
Additional Requirement for Applicants by Examination
If you are applying by examination, the following items are required in addition to the items listed above.
- Arrange for the Board office to receive an official transcript sent directly from the college or university to the Board office.
- Your school must be accredited by Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE).
- The transcript should show your field work experience.
- If you are applying for licensure more than three years after passing the exam, submit proof that you have completed 20 hours of continuing education (CE) in the two years before your application.
- Completion certificates are acceptable proof.
- The CE must meet the requirements in Section 3.0 of the Board’s Rules and Regulations.
Supervision of Occupational Therapy Assistants
After licensure, OTs must submit the Verification of Occupational Therapy Assistant Supervision form to the Board office whenever an OTA enters or leaves the OT’s supervision.