When to File Application by Licensure Transfer
How you apply for a Pharmacist license depends on whether you have passed the North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination (NAPLEX) and, if so, when you passed it, whether you requested a score transfer to Delaware and whether you are already licensed in another jurisdiction ( state, U.S. territory or District of Columbia).
If either of the following situations applies to you, you must apply by Licensure Transfer.
- You passed the NAPLEX less than one year ago but you did not designate Delaware as a score transfer state.
- You passed the NAPLEX over one year ago and you are currently licensed in another jurisdiction.
Note : Licensure transfer is the NABP term for reciprocity.
If neither of the situations above applies to you, file the Application for Pharmacist Licensure by Examination or Score Transfer form.
Filing Preliminary Application with NABP
The National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) offers an Electronic Licensure Transfer Program to help pharmacists who hold an active, unrestricted license in good standing to apply for licensure in additional jurisdictions. When you apply for licensure transfer with NABP, NABP
- screens your preliminary application
- compiles and verifies the information you provided (e.g., education, NAPLEX score, licensure history)
- sends you an NABP Official Application for Transfer of Pharmacist License to State of Delaware to file with the Delaware Board office.
Submit the NABP licensure transfer preliminary application and NABP fee following the instructions for Electronic Licensure Transfer .
Filing Official Application with the Delaware Board Office
Like other jurisdictions, you must meet the requirements of the Delaware Board of Pharmacy before a Delaware license is issued. The Board’s requirements are listed below. The auxiliary forms you need are included.
- Arrange for Board office to receive a State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background check following the instructions on the Instructions for Requesting a Criminal Background Check form included with this application. It is strongly suggested that you submit your request to the State Bureau of Identification as soon as possible because it may take up to eight weeks for the criminal background check to be processed. You may submit the criminal background check request even before you file the NABP Official Application for Transfer of Pharmacist License to State of Delaware with the Board office.
- Sign the NABP Official Application for Transfer of Pharmacist License to State of Delaware that you receive from NABP in front of a notary and submit it to the Delaware Board office. You must submit the Official Application to the Delaware Board office within 90 days of receiving it from NABP.
- Submit a completed, signed and notarized Pharmacist License by Licensure Transfer – Application Supplement.
- Enclose non-refundable processing fee by check or money order made payable to “State of Delaware.” This Delaware fee is in addition to the NABP fee.
- I f you have never been issued a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN), submit a Request for Exemption from Social Security Number Requirement .
- Register to take the Multi-State Pharmacist Jurisprudence Examination (MPJE) on www.nabp.net.
- Since you must register with NABP to take the MPJE before the Board office can make you eligible, it is strongly suggested that you register at the same time you file the Official Application with the Board office.
- For help on preparing for the MPJE, click MPJE Study Material List.
- When the Board office makes you eligible, NABP will send you an Authorization to Test letter that will explain how to schedule your examination. NABP will notify you of the results.
- If you did not pass the MPJE, you must wait 31 days after failing the exam before you can re-take it. To re-take it, you must re-register on www.nabp.net and the Board office must re-confirm your eligibility. For more information about re-taking the exams, see Section 1.2 of the Board’s Rules and Regulations.