When to File
A retail business that is not licensed as a pharmacy may sell non-controlled prescription drugs designated for veterinary use in Delaware if:
- The business registers with the Board of Pharmacy (24 Del. C. §2523 (6)), and
- All such sales are authorized by a written order from a licensed veterinarian and the veterinarian’s written order includes all information required for a written prescription.
All persons who will dispense prescription drugs must be at least 21 years old.
For complete instructions on storage, security, dispensing, labeling, packaging, and recordkeeping, see Section 7.0 of the Board’s Rules and Regulations.
Requirements for All Applications
- Submit completed, signed and notarized Application for Retail Non-Pharmacy Registration .
- Enclose processing fee by check or money order made payable to “State of Delaware.”
- Enclose a copy of the plans for the business.
- Plans must be drawn to scale and should show the area where prescription drugs will be dispensed, storage area, all entryways and security systems.
- Plans must also show the type of alarm system installed and the name, address, and phone of the provider.
- Enclose a copy of the business license from the Delaware Division of Revenue.
- Enclose a separate sheet showing the following information for each owner, corporate officer, and employee listed on the application:
- Date of Birth
- Social Security Number
- Mailing Address
- Each owner, corporate officer and employee listed on the application must also complete a Criminal History Record Check Authorization form to request State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background checks.
- Submit a sample label that meets the requirements of Delaware law at 24 Del. C. §2522 and all other applicable federal and state regulations. The label must include:
- Prescription number
- Date prescription is dispensed
- Patient's full name (e.g., animal name) and animal owner name
- Brand or established name and strength of the drug to the extent that it can be measured
- Veterinarian's directions as found on the prescription
- Veterinarian's name
- Name and address of the dispensing non-pharmacy retail outlet
In addition to meeting all the requirements above, the dispensing area of the business must be inspected before opening. A representative of the business must notify the Board office when the area is ready for inspection. When the business passes the final inspection, the Board office will issue the license.