Due to periods of extremely high call volume you may experience long wait times or dropped calls. If this happens, please try again later. We apologize for any inconvenience. More Info

Delaware.gov logo
Division of
Professional Regulation

Master HVACR and Master HVACR Restricted Licensure

Selecting Type of License

The type of license you hold determines the HVACR services that you are permitted to provide.

Master HVACR – A Master HVACR can design, install, construct, maintain, service, repair, alter, or modify a product or equipment including gas piping in heating and air conditioning, refrigeration, ventilation, or process cooling or heating systems.

Master HVACR Restricted – A Master HVACR Restricted can provide HVACR services limited to one of the following specialties:

  • Heating – Forced Air Systems, Ventilation, and Gas Piping
  • Heating – Hydronic Systems and Gas Piping
  • Commercial Hood Systems
  • Refrigeration
  • Air Conditioning
  • Gas Piping

If you wish to provide services in more than one of these specialties, you must apply for a Master HVACR license. If you already hold a current Delaware Master HVACR Restricted license, you must apply to upgrade to an unrestricted license.

You need a Master Plumber license in addition to a Master HVACR or Master HVACR Restricted license if you design, install, construct, replace, service, repair, alter, or modify the pipes, fixtures, and other apparatus used for bringing the water supply into a building and removing liquid and water-carried wastes from a building.  You can also install and connect gas piping. To apply for a Master Plumber license, see Master Plumber Licensure.


Selecting Type of Application

The application asks you to select whether you are applying by examination or reciprocity. Whether you are applying by examination or reciprocity determines the types of documents you are required to submit.

  • If you hold a current license of the same type in another state, U.S. territory or the District of Columbia, apply by reciprocity.
  • If you do not hold a current license of the same type in another state, U.S. territory or the District of Columbia, apply by examination.

In the state of Pennsylvania, HVACR licenses are not issued by a state board. If the only current license you hold was issued by a Pennsylvania municipality or other jurisdiction, you must apply by examination.

Requirements for All Applicants

These requirements apply to both reciprocity and examination applications.

  • Enclose the non-refundable processing fee by check or money order made payable to “State of Delaware. Applications submitted without this processing fee will be rejected.
  • If you have ever held an individual Master HVACR or Master HVACR Restricted license in any other kind of jurisdiction, arrange for the Board office to receive a Verification of Licensure (included with application) sent directly from each jurisdiction.
    • The jurisdiction may be a state, U.S. territory, District of Columbia or any other governmental jurisdiction such as a city or county.
    • If a license was for an HVACR business that covered all its employees, instead of your own license as an individual, it is not necessary to obtain a license verification for that business.
  • If you are applying for a Master HVACR, Master HVACR Restricted-Refrigeration, Master HVACR Restricted-Air Conditioning, submit a copy of your CFC Certification card.


Additional Requirements for Examination Applications

The following requirements apply to applications by examination in addition to the requirements in the Requirements for All Applicants section above.

Whether you have a “Journeyman Certificate” determines what other proof you must submit.

IF you… THEN these proofs are required:
have a Journeyman Certificate Submit:
  • copy of your apprenticeship program Certificate of Completion
  • proof of at least two years work experience under supervision of a master licensee after receiving your certificate.
do not have a Journeyman Certificate Submit proof of at least seven years work experience under a master licensee’s supervision.
  • The Board will review the documentation of your experience.
  • If approved, the Board office will notify you that you may take the Apprenticeship By-Pass Exam, a state-approved series of tests offered by Delaware apprenticeship schools.
  • When you receive the notice, call one of these schools to schedule your test date:
    New Castle County – New Castle County VoTech (302) 683-3643
    Kent County – PolyTech H.S. (302) 697-4545
    Sussex County – Sussex Tech, Georgetown (302) 856-9035

When you pass the By-Pass Exam (score of 70% or higher), send the official copy of the exam results to the Board office.

  • A “Journeyman Certificate” is issued by a federally-approved HVACR apprenticeship program such as the Delaware Department of Labor.
  • The Proving Your Experience section below explains what documentation you must submit to establish that you have the required years of experience.
  • When the Board approves you to sit for the Master exam, the Board office will send you a candidate information packet. For more information about the Master exam, see Testing.


Additional Requirements for Reciprocity Applications

The following requirements apply to applications by reciprocity in addition to the requirements in the Requirements for All Applicants section above.

If none of the jurisdictions where you hold a current license has licensure standards that are “substantially similar” to those of Delaware, proof of experience is required. The table below show whether to submit proof of experience.


IF you hold a current HVACR license in any of these states… THEN the licensure standards… AND you…
Connecticut, Maryland are substantially similar do not need to submit any proof of experience.
Alabama, Arkansas, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virginia are not substantially similar must submit proof of your experience under the supervision of a master licensee for at least seven years after licensure.
any state or U.S. territory not listed above must be evaluated by the Board must submit a copy of the other jurisdiction’s law and regulations for evaluation.
  • The Board’s decision on substantial similarity may change based, for example, on changes in the other jurisdiction’s law.
  • If you must submit proof of experience according to the table above, see the Proving Your Experience section below.


Proving Your Experience

The sections above on Requirements for Examination Applications and Requirements for Reciprocity Applications, whichever applies to you, explain when to submit proof of your experience and how many years of experience you need. The following explains what documents you must submit.

  • To prove your work experience for periods of employment, arrange for your supervisor(s) to complete the Verification of Employment included in the application packet. If you cannot obtain the required Verification of Employment form from the supervisor, you may substitute tax form W-2 or an affidavit of the employer or officer of the employing company. You must also enclose a statement explaining why you cannot obtain the Verification of Employment form from the supervisor.
  • To prove your work experience for periods of self-employment, you may submit tax form Schedule C.
  • Acceptance of proof of experience is at the Board’s discretion.

Related Topics:  , , , ,