Before completing the application for licensure as an Associate Counselor of Mental Health (LACMH), both you, as the applicant, and your supervisor(s) should carefully read all of the instructions–including the counseling experience and supervision requirements . The hours of experience and supervision that you will be completing are documented on the WRITTEN PLAN FOR PROFESSIONAL COUNSELING EXPERIENCE AND SUPERVISION section of the application. To assure that both you and your supervisor(s) understand the plan, both must sign off on it.
Requirements for All Applications
Both you and your supervisor(s) should carefully follow the instructions for completing the forms. Incomplete or incorrectly completed forms delay processing of the application. The Board will not accept a resume in lieu of or in addition to the forms.
- Submit completed, signed and notarized Application for Licensed Associate Counselor of Mental Health. Applications that are incomplete, unsigned or not notarized will be rejected.
- Enclose the processing fee by check or money order made payable to the "State of Delaware."
- Complete the Criminal History Record Check Authorization form to request State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background checks. Follow the instructions on the authorization form to arrange to be fingerprinted.
- Arrange for the Board office to receive verification of your examination scores as follows:
- If you have passed the NCE (National Counselor Exam) available through the NBCC, follow the instructions for requesting score verifications on the NBCC website at www.nbcc.org.
- If you have passed an exam other than the NCE, arrange for the Board office to receive a National Certifying Organization Certification Form sent directly from the certifying organization to the Board office and verification of your exam scores. Follow the instructions on the form. Note that the organization must be acceptable to the Board. For more information on certifying organizations, see Section 220.127.116.11 of the Board’s Rules and Regulations.
- Arrange for the Board office to receive a verification of licensure from each jurisdiction (state, U.S. territory, District of Columbia) where you now hold, or have ever held, a license to practice as a mental health professional. You may use the Verification of Licensure form enclosed with the application to request the verification.
- If you have never been issued a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN), submit a Request for Exemption from Social Security Number Requirement.
- Arrange for your approved clinical supervisor(s) under whose supervision you will complete the required hours to complete the box entitled PLANNED DIRECT SUPERVISION.
- If you do not have 30 post-Master credit hours, arrange for the box entitled PLANNED PROFESSIONAL COUNSELING
EXPERIENCE to be completed and signed to verify the experience that you plan to finish while
under your approved clinical supervisor's direct supervision.
- For experience you plan to complete while employed, your clinical or administrative supervisor(s) must complete and sign the boxes.
- For experience you plan to complete while self-employed, a professional colleague, supervisor or other individual who will have personal knowledge of your professional practice while self-employed must complete and sign the boxes. The person who attests to your experience while self-employed cannot be related to you as a spouse, former spouse, parent, step-parent, grand-parent, child, step-child, sibling, aunt, uncle, cousin or in-law.