Division of
Professional Regulation

Restricted Permit II

What Does a Restricted Permit II Allow?

A Restricted Permit II allows you to induce conscious sedation by nitrous oxide inhalation.

If you hold a Restricted Permit II, you are not allowed to induce the following:

  • deep sedation
  • general anesthesia.

Before applying for a permit for sedation or anesthesia, it is imperative for you to thoroughly review Section 7.0 of the Rules and Regulations of the Delaware Board of Dentistry and Dental Hygiene. The Board’s rules define conscious sedation, deep sedation and general anesthesia using definitions adapted from the American Dental Association.

If you are applying for a Restricted Permit II, you must fully understand the difference between conscious sedation and deep sedation. The educational requirements for deep sedation and general anesthesia are much more stringent than for conscious sedation. This distinction is important both from the standpoint of this permit application and from the standpoint of clinical practice.

A patient who is given an intravenous drug is in a state of deep sedation if he or she loses either the ability to respond rationally to command or any protective reflexes at any time during the procedure.


Requirements for Permit Applications

It is your responsibility to arrange for the Board to receive all documents listed below. If clarification is needed, the Board may request more information or documents.

  • Enclose the non-refundable processing fee by check or money order made payable to the “State of Delaware.”
  • Submit proof—such as a letter or transcript from a school or a completion certificate—that you have completed 14 instructional hours in a course designed to achieve competency in nitrous oxide inhalation sedation. The course must include supervised clinical experience in managing patients.
  • Enclose a copy of your current cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification card.

If approved, your Restricted Permit II will be mailed to the address on your Dentist license.  You may change the mailing address for your Dentist license and permit(s) online at Update Contact Information.

Related Topics:  , , ,