Division of
Professional Regulation

Residential Electrician


General Information

To perform electrical services in Delaware, you are required to hold a Delaware professional license as an electrician. The Board defines “electrical services” or “electrical work” to mean any activity that is covered by the National Electrical Code (NEC) as adopted by the Delaware State Fire Commission. Examples are provided in Section 1.0 of the Board’s Rules and Regulations. Types of electrician licensure include Master, Master Special, Limited, Limited Special, Journeyperson, Residential and Apprentice (24 Del. C. 1408 (a)).

A Residential Electrician allows you to conduct residential electrical work without having to be under the direct onsite supervision of a licensed master electrician, master electrician special, limited electrician, limited electrician special or journeyperson electrician. Residential Electricians are only allowed to perform electric work:

  • on or within a residential dwelling or building prior to the dwelling or building being connected to the electric grid.
  • to or beyond the breaker panel or fuse box in a residential dwelling or building. For more information see (24 Del. C. §1422A.)

To be licensed as a Residential Electrician you must:

  • have over 4000 hours of fulltime experience or have completed a residential apprentice program approved by the board and
  • pass a residential examination (If we receive your application before March 1st 2019, you are not required to take the exam).

If you hold a current residential license issued in any jurisdiction (State, U.S. territory, District of Columbia) or a certificate of completion issued by the Department of Labor or approved apprentice program in Delaware or any jurisdiction, you must pass a residential examination.

When the Board has approved your application, the Board office will send you the examination registration form and instructions.

Requirements for All Applications

  • If you have ever held an electrical license in any another jurisdiction, arrange for the Board office to receive license verification from each jurisdiction, sent directly from the jurisdiction to the Board office.
  • If you have fulltime experience, submit Verification of Employment form(s) showing 4,000 hours full-time experience under the supervision of a licensed master electrician, limited electrician, or have been individually licensed.
    • If you cannot obtain a Verification of Employment form for one or more periods of employment (e.g., your former employer has gone out of business), you may substitute tax form W-2s for those periods. However, you must include a letter explaining why you cannot obtain the form and a detailed outline of your experience.
  • If you have completed a Residential Apprentice program, enclose a certificate of completion of apprenticeship from a state-approved, bona fide, registered apprenticeship program such as a program approved by the Department of Labor or a Board-approved program.
  • Submit a copy of the law and rules and regulations from each state, U.S. territory or the District of Columbia where you hold a current residential electrician license.
    • You do not need to provide licensure law and regulations related to licenses issued by jurisdictions that are not states, U.S. territories or the District of Columbia (e.g., cities or counties).

Related Topics:  , , , ,