When to Apply
Use these instructions when you are applying for a permit to begin a resident internship with the intention of later applying for Delaware licensure as a Funeral Director. You must serve a Delaware resident internship when you:
- do not hold a current Funeral Director license in any jurisdiction (state, U.S. territory or District of Columbia)
- hold a current Funeral Director license in another jurisdiction but have not practiced as a funeral director at least three of the past five years.
If you hold a current license as a Funeral Director in another jurisdiction and you have practiced as a funeral director at least three of the past five years, file the Application for Funeral Director Licensure.
Obtaining a Sponsor Before Applying
You must serve a one-year resident internship in a Delaware-licensed funeral establishment under the sponsorship of a Delaware-licensed Funeral Director. Select your sponsor before applying because your sponsor must complete the SPONSORSHIP section of the application form. If you end the relationship with your sponsor before the end of your internship, you must promptly notify the Board office in writing.
Requirements for All Applicants
The following requirements apply to all persons filing to become a Resident Intern.
- Enclose the non-refundable processing fee for Funeral Resident Intern by check or money order made payable to “State of Delaware.”
- Complete the Authorization for Release of Information form to request a State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background checks. Follow the instructions on the authorization form to arrange to be fingerprinted.
- Arrange for the Board office to receive an official transcript sent directly from the high school where you graduated to the Board office.
- Arrange for the Board office to receive an official transcript sent directly from each college/university you attended to the Board office.
- Arrange for the Board office to receive an official transcript sent directly from your mortuary school to the Board office. The transcript must show the degree conferred (if any) and date.
- Arrange for the Board office to receive your official National Board Examination score report sent directly from the International Conference of Funeral Service Examining Boards. To request a score report, see Official Scores.
- Your internship may be approved before you pass the National Board Examination. However, you must pass the exam and request the score report before your internship ends.
- If you have ever held a funeral license of any kind in another jurisdiction, arrange for the Board office to receive a letter of good standing from each jurisdiction where you are now (or have ever been) licensed, sent directly from each jurisdiction to the Board office. If the jurisdiction issues separate licenses for funeral directors and embalmers, letters of good standing for
both licenses are required.
Completing Reports During Your Internship
When the Board approves the internship, you will be notified of the beginning and ending dates. During this one-year period, you must complete and submit 25 embalming reports and four quarterly work reports. You may submit the reports periodically, or you may submit all of them at the end of your internship.
Applying for Funeral Director Licensure After Your Internship
At the end of the internship, you must take the following actions to apply for a Funeral Director license.
- Your sponsor must submit a notarized letter confirming that you have successfully completed your internship.
State Examination Requirement
All applicants, whether applying for licensure by resident internship or by reciprocity, must pass an examination on Delaware law, rules and regulations with a minimum score of 70%.
- When the Board has approved your application contingent on your passing the exam, the Board office will notify you to schedule the examination.
- The testing service will send your examination results directly to the Board office. Allow two business days for the Board office to receive your results.
- Your license will be issued when you pass the examination.