When to Apply
You must be at least 18 years old before applying for Delaware Certified Massage Technician.
If you previously applied for a Delaware Certified Massage Technician, it is not necessary to re-submit documents already in possession of the Board office. If you believe that the Board office has any of the documentation listed below, contact the office to confirm.
Requirements for All Applications
- Enclose the non-refundable processing fee by check or money order made payable to “State of Delaware.”
- Complete the Criminal History Record Check form to request State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background checks. Follow the instructions on the authorization form to arrange to be fingerprinted.
- Enclose a copy of your current CPR certification card (front and back). Online CPR courses are NOT accepted.
- If you are now (or have ever been) certified or licensed to practice massage by another jurisdiction (state, U.S. territory or District of Columbia), arrange for the Board office to receive verification of licensure or certification directly from each jurisdiction in which you are now, or have ever been, licensed or certified.
- This requirement applies regardless of whether you are filing an initial application or by reciprocity.
- To request verification, contact the licensing office for each jurisdiction where you have ever been licensed/certified and request a verification letter, which is also called a letter of good standing, to be sent directly to the Delaware Board office. Contact information for other state Boards is listed on the American Massage Therapy Association website. For jurisdictions other than states (such as city, county or Canadian province), request the verification from the agency or organization that issued the certificate or license.
- Copies of licenses are not acceptable.
Additional Requirement for Initial Applications
You are filing an “initial application” if you are:
- not licensed by any other jurisdiction, or
- licensed by another jurisdiction but you have not practiced continuously in that jurisdiction for at least two years before applying in Delaware.
If you are filing an initial application, the following is required in addition to the items in Requirements for All Applicants above.
- Arrange for the Board office to receive an official transcript sent directly from your massage school or approved program to the Board office.(Section 6.0 of the Board’s Rules and Regulations)
- The transcript must show that you have completed 300 hours of supervised in-class study as a student in a school of massage/bodywork, or as a student in an approved program of massage or bodywork therapy. The school or program of training must include a curriculum of no less than:
- 60 hours of anatomy and physiology
- 140 hours of technique and theory of massage or bodywork therapy
- 75 hours of elective courses in the field of massage therapy
- 25 hours of ethics, law and contraindications.
- A transcript received from you, rather than directly from your school or program, is unofficial. If you submit an unofficial copy of the transcript, the Boad office will not issue a license until it receives the official transcript from the school or program.
- Submit proof that the State has approved the school or program.
- An example of the proof required is a copy of the certificate of approval issued by the State. You may obtain the certificate from either your school or the State agency responsible for approving the school/program.
- The approval must cover the period during which you attended the school/program.
- Submit a copy of the school or program catalog.