When to Apply
The purpose of a Temporary Massage Technician Certification is to allow you to practice while you complete educational requirements. File an application for Temporary Massage Technician Certification if you:
The temporary certification is valid for one year only. It cannot be renewed, reissued or changed to inactive status.
Requirements for All Applicants
- Enclose the non-refundable processing fee by check or money order made payable to “State of Delaware.”
- Enclose a copy of your current CPR certification card (front and back). Online CPR courses are NOT accepted.
- Complete the Criminal History Record Check form to request State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background checks. Follow the instructions on the authorization form to arrange to be fingerprinted.
- If you are now (or have ever been) certified or licensed to practice massage by another jurisdiction (state, U.S. territory or District of Columbia), arrange for the Board office to receive verification of licensure or certification directly from each jurisdiction in which you are now, or have ever been, licensed or certified.
- This requirement applies regardless of whether you are filing an initial application or by reciprocity.
- To request verification, contact the licensing office for each jurisdiction where you have ever been licensed/certified and request a verification letter, which is also called a letter of good standing, to be sent directly to the Delaware Board office. Contact information for other state Boards is listed on the American Massage Therapy Association website. For jurisdictions other than states (such as city, county or Canadian province), request the verification from the agency or organization that issued the certificate or license.
- Copies of licenses are not acceptable.
- Arrange for the Board office to receive an official transcript sent directly from your massage school or approved program to the Board office. (Section 6.0 of the Board’s Rules and Regulations)
- The transcript must show that you have completed 200 hours of supervised in-class study as a student in a school of massage/bodywork. The school or program of training must include a curriculum of no less than:
- 50 hours of anatomy and physiology
- 110 hours of theory and technique
- 25 hours of ethics, law and contraindications
- 15 hours of elective courses in the field of massage therapy.
- A transcript received that comes directly from you, rather than directly from your school, is unofficial. If you submit an unofficial copy of the transcript, the Board will review the application when the Board office receives all of the other required documents. However, the Board office will not issue your temporary certification until it receives the official transcript directly from the school or program.
- Submit proof that the State has approved the school or program.
- An example of the proof required is a copy of the certificate of approval issued by the State. You may obtain the certificate from either your school or the State agency responsible for approving the school/program.
- The approval must cover the period during which you attended the school/program.
- Submit a copy of the school or program catalog.