RECOMMENDED BROWSERS - The following browsers are recommended when using DELPROS: Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge.
Click HERE for browser download instructions.

If you are unable to reach us by phone, submit your inquiry via email at Please read the important COVID-19 information from the Division of Professional Regulation. More Info logo
Division of
Professional Regulation

RN/LPN License by Endorsement

When to Apply by Endorsement

Current Licensure Requirement

Submit an endorsement application only if you currently hold an active Nursing license of the same type in another jurisdiction (state, U.S. territory or District of Columbia) and you have never held a Delaware Nursing license of the same type.

  • If you have previously held a Delaware license of the same type, log in to DELPROS online portal, and choose the reinstatement option in the drop-down for that expired license.
  • If you have never held a Delaware RN/LPN license and do not hold a current, active license of the same type in any other jurisdiction, you must reinstate your license in another jurisdiction before applying for a Delaware license by endorsement.

Home State of Residence Requirement

Your home state of residence (also called the primary state of residence) is your declared fixed, permanent and principal home for legal purposes. You may apply only if one of the following applies to you :

  • Your current home state of residence is Delaware, or
  • Your current home state of residence is not an Enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact (eNLC) state, or
  • Your current home state of residence is another eNLC state but you plan to move to Delaware or to a state that is not an eNLC state, or
  • Your current home state of residence is another eNLC state but your license from your home state is not a Multistate license.

Practice Requirement

To be licensed by endorsement Delaware, you must meet one of the following practice requirements. If possible, you must complete one of these requirements before filing the application:

  • Graduation from a Nursing education program within the past two years (24 months)
    • The program must be a State Board of Nursing approved Registered Nurse or Practical Nursing education program. Section of the Board’s Rules and Regulations requires at least 200 hours of clinical experience for LPN students and at least 400 hours of clinical experience for RN students.
  • At least 1,000 hours of nursing practice during the five years (60 months) before submitting an application
  • At least 400 hours of nursing practice during the two years (24 months) before submitting the application
  • Completion of a Board-approved refresher program

If it is not possible to meet any of the above practice requirements, you may file the application and request the Board’s approval of an alternate supervised practice plan. Your application will be processed and a temporary permit will be issued while working under a supervised practice plan, see RN/LPN Temporary Permit for instructions on applying. For information about supervised practice plans, see Section 4.0 of the Board’s Rules and Regulations.

Continuing Education Requirement

If you have practiced at least 1000 hours during the past five years or at least 400 hours during the past two years in any jurisdiction (state, U.S. Territory, or District of Columbia) where you have ever held a nursing license, you must complete the following continuing education (CE) requirement (see Section 9.0 of the Board’s Rules and Regulations):

  • as an RN, at least 30 hours of CE within the past two years
  • as an LPN, at least 24 hours of CE within the past two years

You are required to list the CE you have completed in your Continuing Education Tracker. From your Dashboard, click CONTINUING EDUCATION in the blue banner at the top of the screen.

  • Each individual course must be listed in the CE Tracker. We do not accept a list of all courses taken with a particular agency.
  • Do NOT upload any certificates to the CE Tracker unless you are selected for audit.

Information on How to Apply for a License in DELPROS

Applications are processed in DELPROS (Delaware Professional Regulation Online Services). The online license application process is simple and provides you with clear instructions throughout each stage of the application process. We strongly recommend that you understand what the requirements are for the license you are pursuing. Then, request and gather the documents you need before you begin the application process. Most of the information and forms are on this website. For further clarification of requirements, refer to your profession’s License Law and the Rules and Regulations.

In order to apply for a license or service request, you must have a DELPROS account. To create a new account or log into an existing DELPROS account, follow the instructions at the beginning of the application process. As part of the final steps of the application process, DELPROS instructs you to either “attach” or “upload” the required documents directly to your application and/or to “acknowledge” that you will either send them in yourself or make arrangements for “third-party” documents/forms to be sent to the Board office. Examples of “third-party forms” are transcripts from schools, employment verifications from a supervisor, and license verifications from another state. Official license verifications and/or transcripts are acceptable when received electronically directly from the State Board or school/institution. Note that forms requiring a signature, seal, or notary must be MAILED to the Board office directly UNLESS the document specifically indicates to UPLOAD the document. All documents received by mail are scanned and attached to the appropriate license records.

In DELPROS, you have the ability to save your application and return to it to edit/update information or upload documents for up to six months. However, if you do not submit your application within six months, you will have to restart your online application process. The Board office begins processing applications shortly after submission in the portal. You may check the status of your application in the DELPROS system throughout the whole process and we will correspond with you by email. The requirements for this license type are provided in the following section(s).


In addition to submitting the application and fee in DELPROS, you must submit:

  • A copy of your driver’s license or official identification card from the Division of Motor Vehicles.
    • The state (or other jurisdiction) on the identification you provide is considered your home state of residence.
    • If you don’t have a driver’s license or official identification from the Division of Motor Vehicles, you may submit a voter registration card, federal tax return, military form 2058 or a Form W-2 showing your home state of residence.
  • A copy of your nursing license from another jurisdiction or you may send a printout of your state’s online verification.
    • If there is a signature section on your license, sign it before copying.
    • If the jurisdiction where you are currently licensed is a compact state, you can work in Delaware with your current compact state license until your Delaware license is issued.
  • A State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background check (CBC). Follow the instructions on the Criminal History Record Check Authorization form to arrange to be fingerprinted. Submit both the form and payment to the State Bureau of Identification (SBI). Do not send these forms to the Board office.
    • Allow at least four weeks for the SBI to send criminal history records to the Board office.
    • A new criminal background check is required even if the person recently had a criminal background check done for some other reason.
  •  A Nursing Employer Reference Form(s) from employer:
    • if you have been employed during the past six months as the same type of nurse for which you are applying.
    • if you have not been employed for at least six months and you did not graduate from nursing school within the past two years (24 months) but you were employed as the same type of nurse for which you are now applying within the past five years (60 months).
  • A Nursing School Reference Form from your nursing school:
    • if you have not been employed as the same type of nurse for which you are applying for at least the past six months but you graduated from your nursing program within the past two years (24 months).
  • Verification of original licensure by examination. How you do this depends on whether the jurisdiction where you were licensed uses the NURSYS™ databank. Jurisdictions that use NURSYS™ are:
    Alaska, Alabama, American Samoa, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana- Registered Nurse, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Northern Mariana Islands, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virgin Islands, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
    • If your original jurisdiction of licensure is listed above, go to and complete the NURSYS™ Verification Request.
    • If your original jurisdiction of licensure is not listed above, complete the Verification of Original Licensure form and send it to the Board of Nursing in the jurisdiction where you were licensed by examination. Contact that jurisdiction to find out if there is a fee.
  • A CES report or a Certificate verification letter from CGFNS  if you received your Nursing education outside the U.S. (including Canada) or in Puerto Rico.   You must call CGFNS customer service to order your verification. The verification must be sent to us directly from CGFNS.

Temporary Permit for RN or LPN

For information on applying for a temporary permit, see RN/LPN Temporary Permit. Carefully read the instructions about when you may apply. Do not begin orientation or employment until you are assigned a temporary permit number.


Related Topics:  , , , , , , , , , , ,