You may apply for a license as a Professional Art Therapist by examination or reciprocity.
- If you hold a current Professional Art Therapist license in another jurisdiction (state, District of Columbia or U.S. territory), apply by reciprocity.
- If you do not hold a current Professional Art Therapist license in another jurisdiction, apply by examination.
You must pass the Art Therapy Credentials Board Examination (ATCBE) before you submit your application.
Information on How to Apply for a License in DELPROS
Applications are processed in DELPROS (Delaware Professional Regulation Online Services). The online license application process is simple and provides you with clear instructions throughout each stage of the application process. We strongly recommend that you understand what the requirements are for the license you are pursuing. Then, request and gather the documents you need before you begin the application process. Most of the information and forms are on this website. For further clarification of requirements, refer to your profession’s License Law and the Rules and Regulations.
In order to apply for a license or service request, you must have a DELPROS account. To create a new account or log into an existing DELPROS account, follow the instructions at the beginning of the application process. As part of the final steps of the application process, DELPROS instructs you to either “attach” or “upload” the required documents directly to your application and/or to “acknowledge” that you will either send them in yourself or make arrangements for “third-party” documents/forms to be sent to the Board office. Examples of “third-party forms” are transcripts from schools, employment verifications from a supervisor, and license verifications from another state. Official license verifications and/or transcripts are acceptable when received electronically directly from the State Board or school/institution. Note that forms requiring a signature, seal, or notary must be MAILED to the Board office directly UNLESS the document specifically indicates to UPLOAD the document. All documents received by mail are scanned and attached to the appropriate license records.
In DELPROS, you have the ability to save your application and return to it to edit/update information or upload documents for up to six months. However, if you do not submit your application within six months, you will have to restart your online application process. The Board office begins processing applications shortly after submission in the portal. You may check the status of your application in the DELPROS system throughout the whole process and we will correspond with you by email. The requirements for this license type are provided in the following section(s).
Requirements for All Applicants
In addition to submitting the application and fee in DELPROS, you must submit:
- State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background checks (CBC). Follow the instructions on the Criminal History Record Check Authorization form to arrange to be fingerprinted. Submit the forms and payment to the State Bureau of Identification (SBI). Do not send these forms to the Board office.
- Allow at least four weeks for the SBI to send criminal history records to the Board office.
- A new criminal background check is required even if the person recently had a criminal background check done for some other reason.
- State/Jurisdiction Licensure Verification sent directly to the Board office from each state or jurisdiction in which you currently hold or have ever held a license.
- A verification of your Art Therapy Credentials Board Examination scores (ATCBE) in writing. To request verification, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requirements for Exam Applicants
In addition to submitting the application, fee, and supporting documentation required in the previous section in DELPROS, you must also submit:
- Your official transcript from your college/university sent directly to the Board office.
- An Evaluation of Coursework form and course catalog/descriptions when your graduate program of studies is not in the discipline of art therapy or you do not have a Master’s or Doctoral degree in art therapy. The documents must show that the degree you received encompasses the nine areas listed on the form.
- One or more Direct Supervision Reference form(s) signed by your approved clinical supervisor(s) that verifies that you have completed at least 1,600 hours under direct supervision.
- One or more of the following verification form(s) to verify the experience that you gained when you were not under the direct supervision of a clinical supervisor.
- An Art Therapy Experience Verification-Employment form(s) for experience while you were employed under a clinical or administrative supervisor(s).
- An Art Therapy Experience Verification-Self-Employment form(s) from a professional colleague, supervisor or other individual who has personal knowledge of your professional practice experience while you were self-employed. The person who attests to your experience while self-employed cannot be your spouse, former spouse, parent, step-parent, grandparent, child, step-child, sibling, aunt, uncle, cousin or in-law.
- For details on post-Masters professional art therapy experience, see Post-Masters Art Therapy Experience Requirements.
- All verification forms must clearly state the total number of post-Master’s professional art therapy experience hours that you have provided. Giving only the dates of your employment or self-employment is not sufficient.
- When combined, the mandatory 1,600 hours verified on the Direct Supervision Reference forms added to the hours verified on all of the Art Therapy Experience Verification-Employment form and Art Therapy Experience Verification-Self-Employment forms must total at least 3,200 hours. All of these hours must span a period of not less than two but no more than four years.
- Since you have passed the ATCBE, you may apply 1,000 hours of supervised experience towards the 1,600 hours of required direct supervised experience.
Requirements for Reciprocity Applicants
In addition to submitting the application, fee, and supporting documentation required in the Requirements for All Applicants in DELPROS, you may have to submit additional documentation. Whether or not you need to submit any more documentation depends on how long you’ve been licensed in the jurisdictions where your license is current.
- If you have been licensed at least five years in any one jurisdiction, no further documentation is needed. You may be licensed by reciprocity.
- If you have been licensed less than five years in each state/jurisdiction, submit copies of the licensing law/rules and regulations from each jurisdiction where you hold a current license in good standing. The Board will review the licensing standards of the other jurisdictions and determine if any of them is substantially similar to Delaware’s standards.
- If any of the jurisdictions has substantially similar standards, you may be licensed by reciprocity. No further documentation is needed.
- If none of the jurisdictions has substantially similar requirements, the Board office will notify you that you cannot be licensed by reciprocity. However, you may apply by examination or for an Associate Art Therapist license.