Before completing the application for licensure as an Associate Counselor of Mental Health (LACMH), both you, as the applicant, and your supervisor(s) should carefully read all of the instructions, including the counseling experience and supervision requirements. The hours of experience and supervision are documented on the PLANNED FOR DIRECT SUPERVISION and PLANNED PROFESSIONAL COUNSELING EXPERIENCE forms in the application.
Requirements for All Applications
Both you and your supervisor(s) should carefully follow the instructions for completing the forms. Incomplete or incorrectly completed forms delay processing of the application. The Board will not accept a resume in lieu of or in addition to the forms.
- Enclose the non-refundable processing fee by check or money order made payable to the “State of Delaware.” Applications not accompanied by the required fee will be rejected.
- Complete the Criminal History Record Check Authorization form to request State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background checks. Follow the instructions on the authorization form to arrange to be fingerprinted.
- Arrange for the Board office to receive verification of your National Counselor Examination scores (NCE), National Clinical Mental Health Counseling Examination (NCMHCE), or other examination acceptable to the Board as follows:
- If you have passed the NCE or NCMHCE, follow the instructions for requesting a score report on the National Board Certified Counselors (NBCC) website at nbcc.org/Exams.
- If you have passed another exam equivalent to the NCE or NCMHCE, arrange for the organization to send your score report directly to the Board office.
- Arrange for the Board office to receive a verification of licensure from each jurisdiction (state, U.S. territory, District of Columbia) where you now hold, or have ever held, a license to practice as a mental health professional. You may use the Verification of Licensure form enclosed with the application to request the verification.
- Arrange for your college/university to send an official transcript directly to the Board office.
- Documentation of your coursework is needed when your graduate program of studies is not from a regionally accredited institution of higher education or your degree is in a discipline other than clinical mental health counseling. If you do not have a Master’s degree in clinical mental health counseling with at least 60 graduate semester hours or an equivalent degree in clinical mental health counseling, submit the following:
- completed Evaluation of Coursework form (included with the application)
- course catalog or course descriptions
- If you have 30 post-Masters credit hours in the field of counseling, arrange for the Board office to receive an official transcript showing these graduate credits, sent directly from the school(s) to the Board office.
- Arrange for your approved clinical supervisor(s), under whose supervision you will complete the required hours, to complete the form entitled PLANNED DIRECT SUPERVISION.
- If you do not have 30 post-Masters credit hours in the counseling field, arrange for an administrative supervisor to complete the form entitled PLANNED PROFESSIONAL COUNSELING EXPERIENCE to verify the hours of post-Master’s professional clinical counseling experience that you will receive while not under the direct supervision of an approved clinical supervisor. If you will have more than one period of experience, arrange for a separate form to be completed for each period of experience.