RECOMMENDED BROWSERS - The following browsers are recommended when using DELPROS: Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge.
Click HERE for browser download instructions.

**IMPORTANT: For important information about the Social Work Grandfather Provision deadline, see Grandfather Provision**

If you are unable to reach us by phone, submit your inquiry via email at Please read the important COVID-19 information from the Division of Professional Regulation. More Info logo
Division of
Professional Regulation

Marriage and Family Licensure

General Information

  • If you hold a current Marriage and Family Therapist license in another jurisdiction (state, District of Columbia or U.S. territory), see the requirements below for All Applicants and for Reciprocity Applicants.
  • If you do not hold a current Marriage and Family Therapist license in another jurisdiction, see the requirements below for All applicants and for Exam Applicants.

For information about the required hours of experience needed for licensure, see Post-Masters Marriage and Family Therapy Experience Requirements.

Information on How to Apply for a License in DELPROS

All applications are submitted our online system DELPROS. We no longer accept paper applications.


In order to apply for a license or submit a service request, you must first have a DELPROS user account. To LOG IN or CREATE a DELPROS (Delaware Professional Regulation Online Services) user account:

  1. Go to:
  2. Click GO on the Apply/Manage a License and Service Requests tile.
  3. If you do not have a DELPROS user account, click the REGISTER button on the left side of page for NEW USERS.
  4. If you already have a DELPROS user account, enter your email address and password on the right side for EXISTING USERS and click the LOGIN button.

DELPROS allows you to save your incomplete application and return to it later to finish the process. You only have six (6) months to submit your application once you begin.

  • If you do not submit your application within six months of starting it, you will be required to restart the entire online application again.

You may check the status of your application online throughout the entire application process by using the “View Application Status” feature in DELPROS on your e-License dashboard.


  1. Know the requirements for the license you are pursuing.
  2. Request and gather all documents required to upload on the Attachments page. All information and forms are located on your profession’s webpages.


On the ATTACHMENTS page of your application, you may be instructed to:

  • either “attach” or “upload” the required document(s) directly to your application. This means you will find the document(s) saved on your computer or device and upload it to your application, or .
  • click “acknowledge” . This means you will either mail the documents yourself or request the “third-party” to mail the document(s) directly to the Board office.
    • Examples of “third-party forms” are transcripts from schools, employment verifications from a supervisor, or license verifications from another state.
  • Forms requiring a supervisor signature, seal, or notary may have to be MAILED to the Board office directly UNLESS the document specifically indicates to UPLOAD the document.

Requirements for All Applicants

  • State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background checks (CBC). Follow the instructions on the Criminal History Record Check Authorization form to arrange to be fingerprinted. Submit the forms and payment to the State Bureau of Identification (SBI). Do not send these forms to the Board office.
    • Allow at least four weeks for the SBI to send criminal history records to the Board office.
    • A new criminal background check is required even if the person recently had a criminal background check done for some other reason.
  • State/Jurisdiction Licensure Verification sent directly to the Board office from each state or jurisdiction in which you currently hold or have ever held a license.

Requirements for Examination Applicants

In addition to submitting the application, fee, and supporting documentation required in the previous section in DELPROS, you must also submit:

  • An official transcript from each college/university where you earned a Masters or doctoral degree in marriage and family therapy or any allied field to be sent directly from the school.
  • A Course Comparison Form if either of these situations applies to you:
    • Your graduate program of studies is not accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE),     OR
    • Your degree from a nationally accredited college or university is not in marriage and family therapy but in a related discipline such as counseling, social work, psychology, or psychiatry.
  • A Verification of Supervision form signed by each of your approved supervisors who can verify that you completed the required 1600 hours of supervised experience.
    • The form(s) must clearly show the number of hours of supervised marriage and family therapy experience.
    • Proof that your supervisor passed the AMFTRB exam and had five years experience as a marriage and family therapist. (Only required if your supervisor(s) is not a Delaware-licensed marriage and family therapist.)
  • An official score transfer from the Interstate Reporting Service if you have already passed the Association of Marital and Family Therapy Regulatory Boards (AMFTRB) examination. To request a score transfer, see You must pass the AMFTRB examination with a minimum score of 70%,

Applicants Who Need to Take the AMFTRB Examination

If you still need to pass the AMFTRB examination at the time that you submit your application and supporting documentation in DELPROS, the Board must review your application and documents. If you meet all other requirements, the Board will approve you for licensure contingent on passing the examination. The Board office will then provide you with instructions for registering for the examination. You have two years from the date of your application to pass the exam.  If you fail to pass the exam within two years, you must re-apply for licensure in DELPROS and repeat the process.

After you take the exam, the Interstate Reporting Service,, will send your scores to the Board office. If you pass, you will receive your license. If you fail, the Board office will notify you of your score.

Requirements for Reciprocity Applicants

The required documentation depends on how long you’ve been licensed in other jurisdictions and whether you’ve passed the AMFTRB examination.  In addition to submitting the application, fee, and supporting documentation required in the Requirements for All Applicants section in DELPROS, you must also submit the following items shown in the right column of the table below.

IF you have… AND IF you have been licensed as a Marriage & Family Therapist… THEN
not passed the  AMFTRB exam submit copies of or the links to other jurisdictions’ marriage and family therapy licensing law, rules and regulations.
passed the AMFTRB exam at least five years in any of the jurisdictions where you hold a current license have an official score transfer sent directly to the Board office from the Interstate Reporting Service.  To request a score transfer, see
less than five years in all of the jurisdictions where you hold a current license
  • submit copies of or links to other jurisdictions’ marriage and family therapy licensing law, rules and regulations, and
  • have an official score transfer sent directly to the Board office from the Interstate Reporting Service. To request a score transfer, see

When you provide other jurisdictions’ marriage and family therapy law and regulations as required by the table above, the Board will review and compare the licensure requirements to Delaware’s.  If the Board determines that none of the other jurisdictions’ requirements are substantially similar to those of Delaware, you will be asked to provide documentation of your counseling education and experience.  The Board will then consider you for licensure by examination. If you do not meet the requirements for licensure by examination either, you may apply for the Associate Counselor license.


Related Topics:  , , , , ,