Due to periods of extremely high call volume you may experience long wait times or dropped calls. If this happens, please try again later. We apologize for any inconvenience.
When to File Application
File an application when any of the following occurs:
- you are opening a new private school that will offer a program on any discipline regulated by the Board of Cosmetology and Barbering
- the ownership of an existing licensed school is changing (regardless of whether the school’s name is changing)
- an existing school is changing its name (regardless of whether the school’s owner is changing)
- an existing licensed school is moving to another location
Before filing the application…
- Obtain a business license from the Division of Revenue for the school. To apply, visit www.revenue.delaware.gov or call 302-577-8778.
- You may be required to obtain a town/city business license for a school operating in its jurisdiction. Contact the town or city for more information.
Requirements for All Applications
- Enclose the non-refundable processing fee by check or money order made payable to “State of Delaware.” Applications received without the required fee will be rejected.
- Enclose detailed floor plan on 8½” x 11″ paper or blueprints.
- Enclose a list of the equipment to be used and its location within the school.
- Enclose a copy of business license issued by city of Wilmington, Dover, Rehoboth Beach or any other municipality that requires a town/city business license.
All persons teaching at the school must hold the appropriate Delaware professional license as an Instructor.
All schools operating in Delaware must comply with the Division of Public Health’s Rules and Regulations on sanitation. See Sanitation Regulations.
Related Topics: Department of State, Division of Professional Regulation, State of Delaware