When to Apply
A business that sells any of the following must obtain a Deadly Weapons Dealer license under 24 Del. C. §901:
- pistol or revolver
- steel or brass knuckles,
- other deadly weapon made especially for the defense of one’s person.
No one, licensed or unlicensed, is permitted to sell (or offer to sell) a switchblade knife.
The following are not considered deadly weapons for purpose of this licensing requirement:
- toy pistols
- pocket knives
- knives used for sporting purposes and in the domestic household
- surgical instruments or tools of any kind.
For licensing purposes, there are two different types of application types in the DELPROS online portal that you must choose from – Firearms and No Firearms. Choose the one that best describes your business. The only difference in requirements is that businesses that sell Firearms must have and submit a copy of their Federal Firearms license.
Information on How to Apply for a License in DELPROS
All applications are submitted our online system DELPROS. We no longer accept paper applications.
PRIOR TO APPLYING
In order to apply for a license or submit a service request, you must first have a DELPROS user account. To LOG IN or CREATE a DELPROS (Delaware Professional Regulation Online Services) user account:
- Go to: https://delpros.delaware.gov/OH_HomePage.
- Click GO on the Apply/Manage a License and Service Requests tile.
- If you do not have a DELPROS user account, click the REGISTER button on the left side of page for NEW USERS.
- If you already have a DELPROS user account, enter your email address and password on the right side for EXISTING USERS and click the LOGIN button.
DELPROS allows you to save your incomplete application and return to it later to finish the process. You only have six (6) months to submit your application once you begin.
- If you do not submit your application within six months of starting it, you will be required to restart the entire online application again.
You may check the status of your application online throughout the entire application process by using the “View Application Status” feature in DELPROS on your e-License dashboard.
KNOW YOUR REQUIREMENTS AND COLLECT YOUR DOCUMENTS
- Know the requirements for the license you are pursuing.
- For more information on the requirements for licensure, refer to your profession’s License Law.
- Request and gather all documents required to upload on the Attachments page. All information and forms are located on your profession’s webpages.
ATTACHING AND ACKNOWLEDGING DOCUMENTS
On the ATTACHMENTS page of your application, you may be instructed to:
- either “attach” or “upload” the required document(s) directly to your application. This means you will find the document(s) saved on your computer or device and upload it to your application.
- click “acknowledge.” This means you will either have to mail the documents yourself or request the “third-party” mail the document(s) directly to the Board office.
- Examples of “third-party forms” are transcripts from schools, employment verifications from a supervisor, and license verifications from another state.
- Forms requiring a supervisor signature, seal, or notary may have to be MAILED to the Board office directly UNLESS the document specifically indicates to UPLOAD the document.
The requirements for this license type are provided in the following section(s).
In addition to submitting the application and fee in DELPROS, you must submit:
- A certified copy of your criminal history record from each jurisdiction if you have ever had a criminal history record. You have to provide an explanation in the application and attach the documents showing the final disposition.
- A Deadly Weapons Dealer License – Information About Ownership form completed by each owner, officer and/or director of the business. This includes the owner or officer/director who is submitting the application form on behalf the business as well as all other owners, partners, and/or corporate or association officials.
- A photograph of each person who, as an owner, officer or director, that is completing the Deadly Weapons Dealer License – Information About Ownership form.
Requirements After License Issuance
After the Deadly Weapons Dealer license has been issued, take the following actions:
- The required list of employees and the attachments are confidential but must be available at the primary place of business at any time during regular business hours for inspection by any police officer of the State of Delaware or any political subdivision of Delaware, within the officer’s jurisdiction.
- Complete a criminal background check before hiring an employee and conduct yearly criminal history checks on each employee. Maintain the checks with the employee’s file.
- Keep a separate log for inspection on all deadly weapons sales (handguns).