Click HERE for Important Information for Licensees struggling with mental health or substance abuse issues

If you are unable to reach us by phone, submit your inquiry via email at More Info logo
Division of
Professional Regulation

Veterinary Technician Licensure

When to Apply

You may apply for licensure by examination if you:

  • already passed or have not passed the VTNE, and you either…
  • never held a veterinary technician license in another jurisdiction, or
  • held a license(s) in another jurisdiction, but none are current

For information about the VTNE, see Examinations.

You may apply for licensure by reciprocity if you:

  • hold a current, active veterinary technician license in another jurisdiction

Information on How to Apply for a License in DELPROS

All applications are submitted our online system DELPROS. We no longer accept paper applications.


In order to apply for a license or submit a service request, you must first have a DELPROS user account. To LOG IN or CREATE a DELPROS (Delaware Professional Regulation Online Services) user account:

  1. Go to:
  2. Click GO on the Apply/Manage a License and Service Requests tile.
  3. If you do not have a DELPROS user account, click the REGISTER button on the left side of page for NEW USERS.
  4. If you already have a DELPROS user account, enter your email address and password on the right side for EXISTING USERS and click the LOGIN button.

DELPROS allows you to save your incomplete application and return to it later to finish the process. You only have six (6) months to submit your application once you begin.

  • If you do not submit your application within six months of starting it, you will be required to restart the entire online application again.

You may check the status of your application online throughout the entire application process by using the “View Application Status” feature in DELPROS on your e-License dashboard.


  1. Know the requirements for the license you are pursuing.
  2. Request and gather all documents required to upload on the Attachments page. All information and forms are located on your profession’s webpages.


On the ATTACHMENTS page of your application, you may be instructed to:

  • either “attach” or “upload” the required document(s) directly to your application. This means you will find the document(s) saved on your computer or device and upload it to your application.
  • click “acknowledge.” This means you will either have to mail the documents yourself or request the “third-party” mail the document(s) directly to the Board office.
    • Examples of “third-party forms” are transcripts from schools, employment verifications from a supervisor, and license verifications from another state.
  • Forms requiring a supervisor signature, seal, or notary may have to be MAILED to the Board office directly UNLESS the document specifically indicates to UPLOAD the document.

The requirements for this license type are provided in the following section(s).


In addition to submitting the application and fee in DELPROS, you must submit:

  • Proof of an official transcript from an AVMA-accredited veterinary technician program sent directly from the school OR
  • Proof of an official transcript from an AVMA-approved foreign veterinary technician program sent directly from the school.

If you are a student in your final year of an AVMA-accredited program, you may apply to take the VTNE before graduation. You must submit a letter from your school verifying that you are a veterinary technician student in good standing and the date on which you are expected to receive your degree. The Board office must receive a final transcript from your school, showing your graduation date, in order to approve you for a license.

  • State/Jurisdiction Licensure Verification sent directly to the Board office from each state or jurisdiction in which you currently hold or ever have held a license.
  • If you have already passed the VTNE in another state, submit your score report from the Veterinary Information Verification Agency. To request a score transfer, see Veterinary Professional Score Transfers.
    • If you passed the VTNE exam over two years before applying, submit proof of completing 18 hours of continuing education within the past four years.
    • If you have not yet passed the VTNE, see DPR’s webpage for VTNE instructions or visit AAVSB for more details.

Temporary Licenses

To apply for a Temporary license, you must meet all of the above requirements and submit:

  • A letter from a Delaware-licensed veterinarian verifying that:
    • you will remain in the veterinarian’s continuous employ and supervision, and
    • he or she will monitor your professional activities and be fully responsible for you while you are under temporary licensure.

Under no circumstances should you begin practicing as a veterinary technician in Delaware before the temporary license is issued. For information on the practice and supervision requirements for veterinary technicians, see Section 1.0 of the Board’s Rules and Regulations.


Related Topics:  , , , , , ,