Division of
Professional Regulation

Certificate of Authorization

Which Businesses Must Register

Whether a business that provides or offers to provide architecture services in Delaware must file an application for a Delaware Certificate of Authorization depends on the classification of the business. Even if the business is not required to file an application, the business must provide a statement to the Board office certifying to its status.

IF the business is… THEN AND a Certificate of Authorization application is…
Sole Proprietorship the owner owns and controls the business and practices (or offers to practice) architecture only under his or her own name not required. However, the owner must submit a statement to the Board office certifying that the business is a sole proprietorship or equivalent.
Sole Member Limited Liability Company the business is equivalent to a Sole Proprietorship
any of these:
  • Partnership
  • “S” Corporation
  • “C” Corporation
  • Limited Liability Company
  • Limited Liability Partnership
both of these apply:
  • One or more of the officers, partners, members or managers who is a licensed architect must be designated as responsible for any architecture services on behalf of the business entity.
  • All personnel of the business who act in its behalf as architects in Delaware or for clients located in Delaware must be registered architects.
required. Follow the instructions below to apply.


Requirements for All Applicants

File this application when a business is required to obtain a Certificate of Authorization.

  • Enclose the non-refundable processing fee by check or money order made payable to “State of Delaware.”
  • Enclose a copy of the State of Delaware business license issued by the Division of Revenue or the Division of Corporations.
  • Arrange for each designated professional-in-charge to sign and seal an Acknowledgment of Professional in Charge.

Related Topics:  , , , , ,