Before completing the application for licensure as an Associate Art Therapist (LAAT), both you, as the applicant and your supervisor should carefully read this entire instructions, including the art therapy experience and supervision requirements. The hours of experience and supervision are documented on the PLANNED DIRECT SUPERVISION and PLANNED PROFESSIONAL ART THERAPY EXPERIENCE forms in the application.
Requirements for All Applications
Both you and your supervisor(s) should carefully follow the instructions for completing the forms. Incomplete or incorrectly completed forms delay processing of the application. The Board will not accept a resume in lieu of or in addition to the forms.
- Submit completed, signed and notarized Application for Licensed Associate Art Therapist.
- Applications that are incomplete, unsigned or not notarized will be rejected.
- Enclose the non-refundable processing fee by check or money order made payable to the “State of Delaware.”
- Applications not accompanied by the required fee will be rejected.
- Complete the Criminal History Record Check Authorization form to request State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background checks. Follow the instructions on the form to arrange to be fingerprinted.
- Arrange for the Board office to receive a verification of licensure from each jurisdiction (state, U.S. territory, District of Columbia) where you now hold, or have ever held a license to practice as an art therapist.
- You may use the Verification of Licensure form included with the application to request the verification.
- Arrange for your college/university to send an official transcript directly to the Board office.
- Documentation of your coursework is needed when your graduate program of studies is not in the discipline of art therapy. If you do not have a Master’s or Doctoral degree in art therapy, you must show that the degree in which you received encompasses the nine areas listed on the Evaluation of Coursework form. Submit the following:
- completed Evaluation of Coursework form (included with the application)
- course catalog or course descriptions
- Arrange for your approved clinical supervisor(s), under whose supervision you will complete the required hours, to complete the form entitled PLANNED DIRECT SUPERVISION.
- Arrange for an administrative supervisor to complete the form entitled PLANNED PROFESSIONAL ART THERAPY EXPERIENCE to verify the hours of post-Master’s art therapy experience that you will receive while not under the direct supervision of an approved clinical supervisor. If you will have more than one period of experience, arrange for a separate box to be completed for each period of experience.