Important Information for Applicants and Supervisors:
Written Plan for Professional Marriage and Family Counseling Experience and Supervision
The purpose of the experience questions is to document and verify how much acceptable post-Masters experience in actual marriage and family counseling the applicant has already completed.
For more information on experience hours requirements, seePost-Masters Marriage and Family Counseling Experience Requirements.
When answering the experience questions on the application, it is important for both applicant and supervisor(s) to understand the following:
- The hours of direct supervision that the applicant has already completed plus the planned hours of direct supervision (as documented in the Written Plan) must total at least the mandatory 1,600 hours of professional direct supervision.
- The hours of experience the applicant has already completed—whether or not under professional direct supervision—added to the hours of experience in the Written Plan must total the required hours for licensure.
- All of the required hours—whether or not supervised—must span a period of not less than two but no more than four years.
- When asked to enter hours of experience or supervision, you must calculate and enter an actual number of hours. Answers such as “40 hours/week” will not be accepted.
- Unless the supervisor is an AAMFT “approved supervisor,” the Delaware Board must approve the supervisor.
Information on How to Apply for a License in DELPROS
All applications are submitted our online system DELPROS. We no longer accept paper applications.
PRIOR TO APPLYING
In order to apply for a license or submit a service request, you must first have a DELPROS user account. To LOG IN or CREATE a DELPROS (Delaware Professional Regulation Online Services) user account:
- Go to: https://delpros.delaware.gov/OH_HomePage.
- Click GO on the Apply/Manage a License and Service Requests tile.
- If you do not have a DELPROS user account, click the REGISTER button on the left side of page for NEW USERS.
- If you already have a DELPROS user account, enter your email address and password on the right side for EXISTING USERS and click the LOGIN button.
DELPROS allows you to save your incomplete application and return to it later to finish the process. You only have six (6) months to submit your application once you begin.
- If you do not submit your application within six months of starting it, you will be required to restart the entire online application again.
You may check the status of your application online throughout the entire application process by using the “View Application Status” feature in DELPROS on your e-License dashboard.
KNOW YOUR REQUIREMENTS AND COLLECT YOUR DOCUMENTS
- Know the requirements for the license you are pursuing.
- Request and gather all documents required to upload on the Attachments page. All information and forms are located on your profession’s webpages.
ATTACHING AND ACKNOWLEDGING DOCUMENTS
On the ATTACHMENTS page of your application, you may be instructed to:
- either “attach” or “upload” the required document(s) directly to your application. This means you will find the document(s) saved on your computer or device and upload it to your application.
- click “acknowledge” . This means you will either mail the documents yourself or request the “third-party” to mail the document(s) directly to the Board office.
- Examples of “third-party forms” are transcripts from schools, employment verifications from a supervisor, or license verifications from another state.
- Forms requiring a supervisor signature, seal, or notary may have to be MAILED to the Board office directly UNLESS the document specifically indicates to UPLOAD the document.
In addition to submitting the application and fee in DELPROS, you must submit:
- State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background checks (CBC). Follow the instructions on the Criminal History Record Check Authorization form to arrange to be fingerprinted. Submit the forms and payment to the State Bureau of Identification (SBI). Do not send these forms to the Board office.
- Allow at least four weeks for the SBI to send criminal history records to the Board office.
- A new criminal background check is required even if the person recently had a criminal background check done for some other reason.
- State/Jurisdiction Licensure Verification sent directly to the Board office from each state or jurisdiction in which you currently hold or have ever held a license.
- An official transcript sent directly from each college/university where you earned a Masters or doctoral degree in marriage and family therapy or any allied field.
- The COAMFTE Course Comparison Form if either of these situations applies to you:
- Your graduate program of studies is not accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE), or
- Your degree from a nationally accredited college or university is not in marriage and family therapy but in a related discipline such as counseling, social work, psychology, or psychiatry
- An official score transfer sent from the Interstate Reporting Service, www.amftrb.org if you have passed the AMFTRB examination.
- Proof that your supervisor passed the AMFTRB exam and has five years experience as a marriage and family therapist. (Only needed if any supervisor(s) was not a Delaware-licensed Marriage and Family Therapist.)
- A Verification of Supervision form completed and signed by your supervisor(s) that will verify how many hours of acceptable post-Masters experience in marriage and family therapy you have already accrued.
- You must clearly state the total number of post-Master’s hours of marriage and family therapy that you have provided under professional direct supervision. Providing only the dates of your employment is not sufficient.
- If you had more than one period under different supervisors, have the approved supervisor provide you a completed and signed form for each period during which he or she supervised you.
- A LAMFT Planned Direct Supervision form completed and signed by the supervisor(s) under whose supervision you will complete the hours. This document shows how many hours of post-Masters of marriage and family therapy experience under professional direct supervision that you still need to complete to meet the requirements for Delaware licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist.
- A LAMFT Planned Unsupervised Experience form completed and signed by the supervisor(s) to document the experience that you plan to finish while not under the professional direct supervision. This document shows
how many hours of post-Masters of marriage and family therapy unsupervised experience you still need to complete to meet the requirements for Delaware licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist.
Remember to add the planned hours to the completed hours to make sure that the totals meet the requirements for eventual licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist.