Click HERE for Important Information for Licensees struggling with mental health or substance abuse issues

If you are unable to reach us by phone, submit your inquiry via email at More Info logo
Division of
Professional Regulation

Geologist Licensure by Examination

Application Types

The two methods by which Geologist applicants can apply for licensure are reciprocity and examination.

Apply by examination if any of the following describes your situation:

  • You’ve already passed the FG examination, but still need to take the PG examination.
  • You have passed both the FG and PG examinations, but you cannot apply by reciprocity because you are in one of these situations:
    • You do not hold a current license in another jurisdiction (State, U.S. territory or D.C), OR
    • You do not have at least two years of geologic work experience, all experience acquired in a single jurisdiction where you currently hold a Geologist license, OR
    • Although you hold a current license, issued after June 17, 1998, in another jurisdiction and you have at least two years of geologic work experience in that jurisdiction, you’ve never passed the ASBOG exams.

If you need to take the FG exam, you should not submit an application for Geologist yet. The FG exam is designed for recent college graduates who have not yet acquired the required the five years of professional geologic work experience. For information on when and where the FG and PG exams are given and applying for the each exam, see Examinations.  The instructions on this page also explain how to submit the Service Request in the DELPROS online portal.

Apply by reciprocity if you meet all three requirements below:

  • hold a current license in another jurisdiction AND
  • have two years of geologic work experience acquired in that jurisdiction AND
  • have passed the FG and PG examinations.

Information on How to Apply for a License in DELPROS

All applications are submitted our online system DELPROS. We no longer accept paper applications.


In order to apply for a license or submit a service request, you must first have a DELPROS user account. To LOG IN or CREATE a DELPROS (Delaware Professional Regulation Online Services) use r account:

  1. Go to:
  2. Click GO on the Apply/Manage a License and Service Requests tile.
  3. If you do not have a DELPROS user account, click the REGISTER button on the left side of page for NEW USERS.
  4. If you already have a DELPROS user account, enter your email address and password on the right side for EXISTING USERS and click the LOGIN button.

DELPROS allows you to save your incomplete application and return to it later to finish the process. You only have six (6) months to submit your application once you begin.

  • If you do not submit your application within six months of starting it, you will be required to restart the entire online application again.

You may check the status of your application online throughout the entire application process by using the “View Application Status” feature in DELPROS on your e-License dashboard.


  1. Know the requirements for the license you are pursuing.
  2. Request and gather all documents required to upload on the Attachments page. All information and forms are located on your profession’s webpages.


On the ATTACHMENTS page of your application, you may be instructed to:

  • either “attach” or “upload” the required document(s) directly to your application. This means you will find the document(s) saved on your computer or device and upload it to your application.
  • click “acknowledge” . This means you will either have to mail the documents yourself or request the “third-party” mail the document(s) directly to the Board office.
    • Examples of “third-party forms” are transcripts from schools, employment verifications from a supervisor, and license verifications from another state.
  • Forms requiring a supervisor signature, seal, or notary may have to be MAILED to the Board office directly UNLESS the document specifically indicates to UPLOAD the document.

The requirements for this license type are provided in the following section(s).


In addition to submitting the application and fee in DELPROS, you must submit:

  • An official transcript from your college or university, sent directly to the Board office from the school. The transcript must show that you have either:
    • received a degree in geology, or
    • completed 30 credit hours in geoscience, of which 24 credits are third or higher year courses.
  • If you have already taken and passed the FG examination in a jurisdiction other than Delaware, submit one of the following:
    • A copy of your score report, or
    • A Verification of your passing exam score, sent directly from the jurisdiction where you took the exam using the Verification of Licensure Request form.
  • State/Jurisdiction Licensure Verification(s) sent directly to the Board office from each state or jurisdiction in which you currently hold or have ever held a license. You may also submit a Verification of Licensure Request form completed by another jurisdiction.
    • If you were licensed in another jurisdiction after June 17, 1998, the verification from the jurisdiction where you passed the ASBOG must include your exam scores.
  • Professional Experience Reference Form(s) (either by reciprocity or exam) from at least five professional references showing that you have at least five years of professional geologic work experience and that you were in responsible charge three of the five years. Preferably, the persons giving the references should be licensed professionals with a geology background and be familiar with your work as a Geologist.

Related Topics:  , , ,