Selecting Type of Application
The two kinds of applications for Geologist licensure are: by examination and by reciprocity.
Apply by examination if any of the following describes your situation:
- You need to take both the Fundamentals of Geology (FG) and the Practice of Geology (PG) examinations.
- You’ve already passed the FG examination but need to take the PG examination.
- You have passed both the FG and PG examinations but you cannot apply by reciprocity because you are in one of these situations:
- You do not hold a current license in another jurisdiction ( State, U.S. territory or District of Columbia), or
- You do not have at least two years of geologic work experience, all of it acquired in a single jurisdiction where you hold a current license, or
- Although you hold a current license, issued after June 17, 1998, in another jurisdiction and you have at least two years of geologic work experience in that jurisdiction, you’ve never passed the ASBOG exams.
To apply for the Board’s approval to take only the FG exam, the Application for Approval to Take Fundamentals of Geology Exam is designed for recent college graduates who have not yet acquired the required professional geologic work experience.
Apply by reciprocity if you:
- hold a current license in another jurisdiction
- have two years of geologic work experience acquired in that jurisdiction
- have passed the FG and PG examinations.
The ASBOG examinations are held twice a year in the Cannon Building, 861 Silver Lake Blvd, Dover, Delaware. The examination schedule is available at ASBOG Exam Schedule. If you are applying for approval to sit for one or both exams, you must submit your application and all required documentation by the final dates shown on the schedule so that the Board has time to meet and review your credentials.
When the Board has approved you to sit for the examination, the Board office will send you a notice with further instructions on registering for the examination with ASBOG. The notice will also give you information about the paying the examination and proctoring fees. For information on the examination content, see the candidate information on the National Association of State Board of Geology website.
Requirements for All Applicants
- Enclose the non-refundable processing fee by check or money order made payable to the “State of Delaware.”
- Arrange for the Board office to receive verification of your Geologist licensure from each jurisdiction where you are currently, or have ever been, licensed, sent directly from the jurisdiction to the Board office. Use the Verification of Licensure form included with the application.
- If you were licensed in another jurisdiction after June 17, 1998, the verification from the jurisdiction where you passed the ASBOG must include your exam scores.
- Arrange for the Board office to receive at least five professional references documenting that you have at least five years of professional geologic work experience and that you were in responsible charge three of the five years. Preferably, the persons giving the references should be licensed professionals with a geology background. They must:
- be familiar with your work as a geologist
- use the Professional Experience Reference Form included with the application
- send the forms directly to the Board office.