Expiration dates for renewable licenses expiring on 8/31/20 have been extended until 9/30/20. If you are unable to reach us by phone, submit your inquiry via email at customerservice.dpr@delaware.gov. Please read the important COVID-19 information from the Division of Professional Regulation. More Info

Delaware.gov logo
Division of
Professional Regulation

Geologist Licensure by Reciprocity

When to Apply

The two methods by which Geologist applicants can apply for licensure are reciprocity and examination.

Apply by reciprocity only if you meet all of these criteria:

  • You hold a current geologist license in good standing in your selected reciprocity state, AND
  • You have at least two years licensed professional geologic work experience in your selected reciprocity state, AND
  • You have passed the ASBOG examinations unless your license in your selected reciprocity state was issued before June 17, 1998. Note: If you were licensed in your reciprocity state after June 17, 1998 but have never passed the ASBOG examinations, you cannot apply by reciprocity.

If you do not meet all of these criteria, you must apply by examination.

Selecting Your Reciprocity State

When applying for Geologist licensure by reciprocity, you must choose ONE reciprocity state. The term reciprocity state means the jurisdiction (which includes state, U.S. territory or District of Columbia) where you:

  • hold a current Geologist license, AND
  • acquired the two years of licensed professional geologic work experience.

Even if more than one jurisdiction where you hold a current license meets the definition of reciprocity state, you must select only one. In selecting your reciprocity state, remember that the entire two years of required licensed professional geologic work experience had to take place in the reciprocity state. Experience on projects that took place in other jurisdictions does not count even if you were employed by a firm in your reciprocity state at the time.

Information on How to Apply for a License in DELPROS

Applications are processed in DELPROS (Delaware Professional Regulation Online Services). The online license application process is simple and provides you with clear instructions throughout each stage of the application process. We strongly recommend that you understand what the requirements are for the license you are pursuing. Then, request and gather the documents you need before you begin the application process. Most of the information and forms are on this website. For further clarification of requirements, refer to your profession’s License Law and the Rules and Regulations.

In order to apply for a license or service request, you must have a DELPROS account. To create a new account or log into an existing DELPROS account, follow the instructions at the beginning of the application process. As part of the final steps of the application process, DELPROS instructs you to either “attach” or “upload” the required documents directly to your application and/or to “acknowledge” that you will either send them in yourself or make arrangements for “third-party” documents/forms to be sent to the Board office. Examples of “third-party forms” are transcripts from schools, employment verifications from a supervisor, and license verifications from another state. These forms usually require a signature, seal, or notary, therefore, must be mailed into the Board office directly. All documents received by mail are scanned and attached to the appropriate license records.

In DELPROS, you have the ability to save your application and return to it to edit/update information or upload documents for up to six months. However, if you do not submit your application within six months, you will have to restart your online application process. The Board office begins processing applications shortly after submission in the portal. You may check the status of your application in the DELPROS system throughout the whole process and we will correspond with you by email. The requirements for this license type are provided in the following section(s).


In addition to submitting the application and fee in DELPROS, you must submit:

  • An official transcript from your college or university, sent directly to the Board office from the school.
  • A
  • State/Jurisdiction Licensure Verification(s) sent directly to the Board office from each state or jurisdiction in which you currently hold or have ever held a license. You may also submit aVerification of Licensure Request form completed by another jurisdiction.
    • If you were licensed in your reciprocity state after June 17, 1998, the verification from the jurisdiction where you passed the ASBOG exams must include your exam scores. If you were licensed in your reciprocity state before June 17, 1998, exam scores are not required.
  • Professional Experience Reference form(s) from at least two professional references showing that you have at least two years of licensed professional geologic work experience that took place in your selected reciprocity state. Preferably, the persons giving the references should be licensed professionals with a geology background. They must be familiar with your work as Geologist.


Related Topics:  , , ,