Post-Masters Art Therapy Experience Requirements
When applying by examination, you must arrange for the Board office to receive verification that you have completed the required hours of post-Masters professional art therapy experience. The following definitions apply to this requirement:
- Supervised art therapy experience must involve providing face-to-face art therapy services with clients and other matters directly related to the treatment of clients in a setting that is clearly designated to provide opportunities for clinical treatment through art therapy as defined in 24 Del C. § 3061 and 3062.
- Direct supervised experience means face-to-face consultation, on a regularly scheduled basis between a supervisee and a licensed professional art therapist (LPAT) or other Board-approved behavioral health professional. The Board-approved supervisor is responsible for ensuring that the extent, kind, and quality of the services rendered are consistent with the supervisee’s education, training, and experience.
- An approved clinical supervisor is a Professional Art Therapist licensed in any jurisdiction, or an individual holding either the Registered and Board Certified Art Therapist or the Art Therapy Certified Supervisor credential from the Art Therapy Credentials Board (ATCB).
- The Board may approve other licensed behavioral health professionals such as licensed marriage and family therapists, professional counselors of mental health, clinical psychologists, clinical social workers, physicians, and advanced practice registered nurses.
- You must have provided a total of at least 1,600 hours of post-Masters professional art therapy experience while under the direct supervision of one or more approved clinical supervisors. When the hours under all approved clinical supervisors are combined, the 1,600 hours must span a period of at least two but not more than four years.
- When totaled, at least 100 of the 1,600 hours of direct supervision under all approved clinical supervisors must be face-to-face sessions between you and your supervisor.
- When totaled, at least 100 hours of direct supervision under all approved clinical supervisors must be face-to-face one-on-one – that is, you and your supervisor. You may fulfill the entire 100-hour requirement by individual supervision. No more than 40 of the 100 hours may be in a group setting – that is, you, your supervisor, and up to six supervisees.
- Your clinical or administrative supervisor(s) must also verify any additional hours of post-Masters art therapy experience not completed under direct supervision. These hours, when added to the 1,600 or more hours of direct supervision verified by your clinical supervisor(s), must total at least 3,200 hours. All 3,200 hours must be within a period of not less than two years but no more than four years.
For more information about the experience requirements, see Sections 7.3 and 7.4 of the Board’s Rules and Regulations available at dpr.delaware.gov.