Apply by examination if you:
- need to take the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) exam OR
- have already passed the ASWB exam but do not hold a current license in another jurisdiction (state, D.C. or U.S. territory)
Apply by reciprocity if you:
- have already passed the ASWB exam AND
- hold a current license in another jurisdiction (state, D.C. or U.S. territory)
If you previously held a Delaware license that has been expired for over one year, or held a Delaware inactive license that has been expired for over three years, you must reapply for licensure in DELPROS, our online portal.
Information on How to Apply for a License in DELPROS
Applications are processed in DELPROS (Delaware Professional Regulation Online Services). The online license application process is simple and provides you with clear instructions throughout each stage of the application process. We strongly recommend that you understand what the requirements are for the license you are pursuing. Then, request and gather the documents you need before you begin the application process. Most of the information and forms are on this website. For further clarification of requirements, refer to your profession’s License Law and the Rules and Regulations.
In order to apply for a license or service request, you must have a DELPROS account. To create a new account or log into an existing DELPROS account, follow the instructions at the beginning of the application process. As part of the final steps of the application process, DELPROS instructs you to either “attach” or “upload” the required documents directly to your application and/or to “acknowledge” that you will either send them in yourself or make arrangements for “third-party” documents/forms to be sent to the Board office. Examples of “third-party forms” are transcripts from schools, employment verifications from a supervisor, and license verifications from another state. These forms usually require a signature, seal, or notary, therefore, must be mailed into the Board office directly. All documents received by mail are scanned and attached to the appropriate license records.
In DELPROS, you have the ability to save your application and return to it to edit/update information or upload documents for up to six months. However, if you do not submit your application within six months, you will have to restart your online application process. The Board office begins processing applications shortly after submission in the portal. You may check the status of your application in the DELPROS system throughout the whole process and we will correspond with you by email. The requirements for this license type are provided in the following section(s).
Requirements for All Applicants
In addition to submitting the application and fee in DELPROS, you must submit:
- A State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background check (CBC). Follow the instructions on the Criminal History Record Check Authorization form to arrange to be fingerprinted. Submit both the form and payment to the State Bureau of Identification (SBI). Do not send these forms to the Board office.
- Allow at least four weeks for the SBI to send criminal history records to the Board office.
- A new criminal background check is required even if the person recently had a criminal background check done for some other reason.
- A completed and signed Child Protection Registry Consent Form, following the instructions on the form.
- State/Jurisdiction Licensure Verification(s) sent directly to the Board office from each state or jurisdiction in which you currently hold or have ever held a license.
Additional Requirements for Examination Applicants
In addition to submitting the application, fee, and supporting documentation required in the previous section in DELPROS, you must also submit:
- U.S. Educated : An official transcript of your completed degree sent directly to the Board office from your college or university. The college or university must be accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) (www.cswe.org/Accreditation).
- For the Masters of Social Work, the transcript must clearly show a master’s degree in social work.
- For the Bachelors Social Work, the transcript must clearly show a baccalaureate degree in social work.
- Foreign Educated: A copy of a credential evaluation sent directly from the International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Service (ISWDRES) to the Board office. To request a credential evaluation, see the application instructions for the International Degree Review at www.cswe.org/International-Degree-Review.
- An official ASWB exam score report from ASWB if you have already passed the exam. To request the score report, see Score Transfer on the ASWB web site.
- If you need to take the ASWB examination, you must register online with ASWB, see ASWB Registration Information.
- For information about the examination, the Candidate Handbook is available on the ASWB web site. The Board office does not provide Candidate Handbooks.
- The Board determines whether you are eligible to take the examination based on your education.
- If you are eligible to take the examination, the Board office will notify ASWB. When ASWB receives both the Board’s approval and your registration and payment, ASWB will then send you instructions on how to schedule the exam.
- If you are not eligible to take the examination, the Board office will send you an explanation notice.
- ASWB will send the results of the examination to the Board office. If you passed, the Board office will issue your license. If you failed, you must re-register with ASWB to re-take the examination.
- You have two years from the date of your application to pass the exam. If you have not passed the exam when the two years end, you must reapply.
Additional Requirements for Reciprocity Applicants
In addition to submitting the application, fee, and supporting documentation required in the Requirements for All Applicants section in DELPROS, you must also submit:
- An official ASWB exam score report sent directly from ASWB, if you have already passed the exam. To request the score report, see Score Transfer on the ASWB web site.
- A copy of the laws and regulations in each jurisdiction where you hold a current license in the same license type for which you are applying. The Board will determine if the license standards are substantially similar to Delaware’s license standards.
- If the jurisdiction’s license standards where you hold a current license of the same license type are not substantially similar to Delaware, you must have practiced for at least five years in the past.