Effective 10/22/2020 a Security Code is no longer required for registration. If you are unable to reach us by phone, submit your inquiry via email at customerservice.dpr@delaware.gov. Please read the important COVID-19 information from the Division of Professional Regulation More Info

Delaware.gov logo
Division of
Professional Regulation

Clinical Social Worker Licensure

Types of Applications

Apply by examination if you:

  • are requesting approval to take the national Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) licensing examination, OR
  • have already passed the ASWB licensing examination but you do not hold a current, clinical social work license in another jurisdiction (state, U.S. territory or District of Columbia).

Apply by reciprocity if you:

  • have already passed the national ASWB licensing examination,  AND
  • hold a current, clinical social work license in another jurisdiction (state, U.S. territory or District of Columbia).

Information on How to Apply for a License in DELPROS

Applications are processed in DELPROS (Delaware Professional Regulation Online Services). The online license application process is simple and provides you with clear instructions throughout each stage of the application process. We strongly recommend that you understand what the requirements are for the license you are pursuing. Then, request and gather the documents you need before you begin the application process. Most of the information and forms are on this website. For further clarification of requirements, refer to your profession’s License Law and the Rules and Regulations.

In order to apply for a license or service request, you must have a DELPROS account. To create a new account or log into an existing DELPROS account, follow the instructions at the beginning of the application process. As part of the final steps of the application process, DELPROS instructs you to either “attach” or “upload” the required documents directly to your application and/or to “acknowledge” that you will either send them in yourself or make arrangements for “third-party” documents/forms to be sent to the Board office. Examples of “third-party forms” are transcripts from schools, employment verifications from a supervisor, and license verifications from another state. Official license verifications and/or transcripts are acceptable when received electronically directly from the State Board or school/institution. Note that forms requiring a signature, seal, or notary must be MAILED to the Board office directly UNLESS the document specifically indicates to UPLOAD the document. All documents received by mail are scanned and attached to the appropriate license records.

In DELPROS, you have the ability to save your application and return to it to edit/update information or upload documents for up to six months. However, if you do not submit your application within six months, you will have to restart your online application process. The Board office begins processing applications shortly after submission in the portal. You may check the status of your application in the DELPROS system throughout the whole process and we will correspond with you by email. The requirements for this license type are provided in the following section(s).


In addition to submitting the application and fee in DELPROS, you must submit:

  • A State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background check (CBC). Follow the instructions on the Criminal History Record Check Authorization form to arrange to be fingerprinted. Submit both the form and payment to the State Bureau of Identification (SBI). Do not send these forms to the Board office.
    • Allow at least four weeks for the SBI to send criminal history records to the Board office.
    • A new criminal background check is required even if the person recently had a criminal background check done for some other reason.
    • A Supervisory Reference Form signed by your supervisor.
      • The form must document at least 1,600 hours under professional supervision acceptable to the Board.
      • The supervisor(s) must be a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW), master’s level degree social worker (MSW), licensed psychologist, or a licensed psychiatrist.
    • State/Jurisdiction Licensure Verification sent directly to the Board office from each state or jurisdiction in which you currently hold or have ever held a license.
    • An official transcript of your completed Masters degree directly to the Board office. The college or university must be accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (www.cswe.org).
    • A certified score report from ASWB to the Board office if you have already passed the ASWB exam. To request the score report, see Score Transfer on the ASWB web site.
    • If you have not passed the ASWB examination, the Board office will notify you when you are approved to take the exam. To register online with ASWB, see ASWB Registration Information.
      • For information about the examination, the Candidate Handbook is available on the ASWB web site. The Board office does not provide Candidate Handbooks.
      • When you are approved to sit for the examination, you have two years from the date of your application to pass. If you have not yet passed when the two years elapse, you must re-apply.
      • When the Board office receives the passing exam scores from ASWB, your license will be issued.


    Related Topics:  , , , ,