Click HERE for Important Information for Licensees struggling with mental health or substance abuse issues.

If you are unable to reach us by phone, submit your inquiry via email at More Info logo
Division of
Professional Regulation


When to Apply

You are required to submit an application for a Cosmetology/Barbering school when:

  • you are opening a new private school that will offer a program on any discipline regulated by the Board of Cosmetology and Barbering.
  • the ownership of an existing licensed school is changing (regardless of whether the school’s name is changing).
  • an existing school is changing its name (regardless of whether the school’s owner is changing).
  • an existing licensed school is moving to another location.

Before submitting an application…

  • Obtain a certificate of approval from the Delaware Department of Education. To apply, see Private Business and Trade Schools on the Department of Education’s website.
  • Obtain a business license from the Division of Revenue for the school. To apply, visit or call 302-577-8778.
  • Check to see if you need to obtain a town/city business license to operate a school in its jurisdiction.

All persons teaching at the school must hold the appropriate Delaware professional license as an Instructor.

All schools operating in Delaware must comply with the Division of Public Health’s Rules and Regulations on sanitation. See Sanitation Regulations.

Information on How to Apply for a License in DELPROS

All applications are submitted our online system DELPROS. We no longer accept paper applications.


In order to apply for a license or submit a service request, you must first have a DELPROS user account. To LOG IN or CREATE a DELPROS (Delaware Professional Regulation Online Services) user account:

  1. Go to:
  2. Click GO on the Apply/Manage a License and Service Requests tile.
  3. If you do not have a DELPROS user account, click the REGISTER button on the left side of page for NEW USERS.
  4. If you already have a DELPROS user account, enter your email address and password on the right side for EXISTING USERS and click the LOGIN button.

DELPROS allows you to save your incomplete application and return to it later to finish the process. You only have six (6) months to submit your application once you begin.

  • If you do not submit your application within six months of starting it, you will be required to restart the entire online application again.

You may check the status of your application online throughout the entire application process by using the “View Application Status” feature in DELPROS on your e-License dashboard.


  1. Know the requirements for the license you are pursuing.
  2. Request and gather all documents required to upload on the Attachments page. All information and forms are located on your profession’s webpages.


On the ATTACHMENTS page of your application, you may be instructed to:

  • either “attach” or “upload” the required document(s) directly to your application. This means you will find the document(s) saved on your computer or device and upload it to your application.
  • click “acknowledge” . This means you will either mail the documents yourself or request the “third-party” to mail the document(s) directly to the Board office.
    • Examples of “third-party forms” are transcripts from schools, employment verifications from a supervisor, or license verifications from another state.
  • Forms requiring a supervisor signature, seal, or notary may have to be MAILED to the Board office directly UNLESS the document specifically indicates to UPLOAD the document.


In addition to submitting the application and fee in DELPROS, you must submit:

  • A detailed floor plan on 8½” x 11″ paper or blueprints of your school.

For an example, see Sample Floor Plan.

  • A list of the equipment to be used and its location within the school.
  • A copy of business license issued by city of Wilmington, Dover, Rehoboth Beach or any other municipality if the town/city requires one.


Related Topics:  , ,