When to Apply
Apply for this license if you hold a current license as a Cosmetologist Instructor, Barber Instructor, Aesthetician Instructor, Nail Technician Instructor or Electrology Instructor in another state, U.S. territory or District of Columbia and you wish to apply for the same type of Instructor license in Delaware.
- If you already hold a current Delaware Cosmetologist/Cosmetology Instructor license and wish for your license to reflect that you are qualified to teach shaving, you may submit a Service Request for an Additional Shaving Certification. To submit the service request, you first must have a DELPROS user account. To create a user account, click on the GO button on the Apply/Manage a License and Service Requests tile on the home page. After clicking on the link, follow the instructions to create a new account or log into an existing account.
- If you already hold a current Delaware Aesthetician license and obtained at least 900 hours of aesthetics teaching experience at a registered school before 6/28/2010, you may apply for an Aesthetics Instructor license based on your experience.
- If you previously held a Delaware Instructor license that has been expired over five years, you must apply to reinstate that license.
- If you do not hold a current Instructor license in any state, U.S. territory or District of Columbia and you never previously held a Delaware Instructor license, you must apply by examination.
Information on How to Apply for a License in DELPROS
All applications are submitted our online system DELPROS. We no longer accept paper applications.
PRIOR TO APPLYING
In order to apply for a license or submit a service request, you must first have a DELPROS user account. To LOG IN or CREATE a DELPROS (Delaware Professional Regulation Online Services) user account:
- Go to: https://delpros.delaware.gov/OH_HomePage.
- Click GO on the Apply/Manage a License and Service Requests tile.
- If you do not have a DELPROS user account, click the REGISTER button on the left side of page for NEW USERS.
- If you already have a DELPROS user account, enter your email address and password on the right side for EXISTING USERS and click the LOGIN button.
DELPROS allows you to save your incomplete application and return to it later to finish the process. You only have six (6) months to submit your application once you begin.
- If you do not submit your application within six months of starting it, you will be required to restart the entire online application again.
You may check the status of your application online throughout the entire application process by using the “View Application Status” feature in DELPROS on your e-License dashboard.
KNOW YOUR REQUIREMENTS AND COLLECT YOUR DOCUMENTS
- Know the requirements for the license you are pursuing.
- Request and gather all documents required to upload on the Attachments page. All information and forms are located on your profession’s webpages.
ATTACHING AND ACKNOWLEDGING DOCUMENTS
On the ATTACHMENTS page of your application, you may be instructed to:
- either “attach” or “upload” the required document(s) directly to your application. This means you will find the document(s) saved on your computer or device and upload it to your application.
- click “acknowledge” . This means you will either mail the documents yourself or request the “third-party” to mail the document(s) directly to the Board office.
- Examples of “third-party forms” are transcripts from schools, employment verifications from a supervisor, or license verifications from another state.
- Forms requiring a supervisor signature, seal, or notary may have to be MAILED to the Board office directly UNLESS the document specifically indicates to UPLOAD the document.
Selecting the Method of Reciprocity
During the application process for reciprocity, the online application asks questions to assist you in applying by either Method 1 or Method 2. It is important to know which method you should choose so that you submit the correct documents.
- Method 1 means that a jurisdiction where you hold a current license has licensure requirements that are substantially the same as those of Delaware.
- Method 2 means that none of the jurisdictions where you are currently licensed has licensure requirements that are substantially the same as Delaware’s requirements.
Both methods require you to have passed a written and practical examination which was professionally developed and used on a national basis. Whether your application is Method 1 or 2 depends on whether any jurisdiction where you are currently licensed requires at least the same hours that Delaware requires. Delaware requires:
- Cosmetologist or Barber Instructor—500 classroom hours in teacher training or two years’ experience as an active, licensed, practicing cosmetologist or barber plus at least 250 hours of instruction in cosmetology or barbering
- Nail Technician Instructor — 500 classroom hours or two years’ experience as an active, licensed, practicing nail technician plus at least 250 hours of instruction in nail technology
- Electrologist Instructor — 500 classroom hours or two years’ experience as an active, licensed, practicing electrologist plus at least 250 hours of instruction in electrology
- Aesthetician Instructor—500 classroom hours of advanced instruction in aesthetics or 2 years’ experience and 250 hours instruction
If all the places where you are currently licensed require fewer hours than Delaware (see above), then select Method 2.
If you don’t know how many hours the jurisdiction where you’re currently licensed requires, check with the jurisdiction’s licensing agency. See Directory at www.nictesting.org.
Requirements for All Applicants
In addition to submitting the application and fee in DELPROS, you must submit:
- A copy of all current licenses held in other jurisdictions. At least one license in another jurisdiction must be current when the Board reviews your application.
- State/Jurisdiction Licensure Verification sent directly to the Board office from each state or jurisdiction in which you currently hold or have ever held a license.
- This requirement applies regardless of whether or not the license is current.
- The other jurisdiction must send the verification directly to the Board office.
- Use the Verification of Licensure for Reciprocity form at the end of the application to request the verification from the other jurisdiction.
- A transcript or credential evaluation showing that you have completed a 12th grade education or equivalent.
Additional Requirement for Method 2 Applicants Only
In addition to submitting the application, fee, and supporting documentation required in the previous section in DELPROS, you must also submit:
- A notarized statement from a present or prior employer(s) in the jurisdiction where you are licensed. The statement must certify that you worked in the field for which you are seeking a Delaware license for a period of five years before you applied in Delaware.
Request for Additional Shaving Certification
If you already hold either a Cosmetologist license or a Cosmetology Instructor license and wish for your license to reflect that you are qualified to teach shaving, you may submit a Service Request for Additional Shaving Certification. For instructions on how to submit a Service Request in DELPROS, the online portal, click HERE.
In order to qualify, you must:
- be a Delaware-licensed Cosmetologist or Cosmetology Instructor.
- have completed a shaving course consisting of at least 35 hours of instruction in shaving that was taught by a licensed Barbering Instructor.
- upload the Delaware Shaving Course Certification form in your Service Request application. The form must be completed and signed by a school official or Barber Instructor authorized to teach or a transcript showing that you have completed the required shaving coursework.