Effective 10/22/2020 a Security Code is no longer required for registration. If you are unable to reach us by phone, submit your inquiry via email at customerservice.dpr@delaware.gov. Please read the important COVID-19 information from the Division of Professional Regulation More Info

Delaware.gov logo
Division of
Professional Regulation

Massage Therapist Licensure

When to Apply

You must be at least 18 years old to apply for a Delaware Massage Therapist license.

Apply by “initial application” if you are:

  • not licensed by any other jurisdiction, OR
  • licensed by another jurisdiction but you have not practiced continuously in that jurisdiction for at least two years before applying in Delaware.
  • currently an active Certified Massage Technician or Temporary Massage Technician certification in Delaware and you have now passed the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) exam.

Information on How to Apply for a License in DELPROS

Applications are processed in DELPROS (Delaware Professional Regulation Online Services). The online license application process is simple and provides you with clear instructions throughout each stage of the application process. We strongly recommend that you understand what the requirements are for the license you are pursuing. Then, request and gather the documents you need before you begin the application process. Most of the information and forms are on this website. For further clarification of requirements, refer to your profession’s License Law and the Rules and Regulations.

In order to apply for a license or service request, you must have a DELPROS account. To create a new account or log into an existing DELPROS account, follow the instructions at the beginning of the application process. As part of the final steps of the application process, DELPROS instructs you to either “attach” or “upload” the required documents directly to your application and/or to “acknowledge” that you will either send them in yourself or make arrangements for “third-party” documents/forms to be sent to the Board office. Examples of “third-party forms” are transcripts from schools, employment verifications from a supervisor, and license verifications from another state. Official license verifications and/or transcripts are acceptable when received electronically directly from the State Board or school/institution. Note that forms requiring a signature, seal, or notary must be MAILED to the Board office directly UNLESS the document specifically indicates to UPLOAD the document. All documents received by mail are scanned and attached to the appropriate license records.

In DELPROS, you have the ability to save your application and return to it to edit/update information or upload documents for up to six months. However, if you do not submit your application within six months, you will have to restart your online application process. The Board office begins processing applications shortly after submission in the portal. You may check the status of your application in the DELPROS system throughout the whole process and we will correspond with you by email. The requirements for this license type are provided in the following section(s).


In addition to submitting the application and fee in DELPROS, you must submit:

  • An official transcript sent directly from your massage school or approved program to the Board office.  The transcript must show contact information for the school or program director. See Section 4.0 of the Board’s Rules and Regulations.
    • The transcript must show that you have completed 500 hours of supervised in-class study as a student in a school which trains massage or bodywork therapists, or as a student in an approved program of massage or bodywork therapy. The school or program of training must include a curriculum of no less than:
      • 100 hours of anatomy and physiology
      • 300 hours of technique and theory of massage or bodywork therapy
      • 75 hours of elective courses in the field of massage therapy
      • 25 hours of ethics, law and contraindications.
  • Proof that the State has approved the school or program.
    • An example of the proof required is a copy of the certificate of approval issued by the State. You may obtain the certificate from either your school or the State agency responsible for approving the school/program.
    • The approval must cover the period during which you attended the school/program.
  • A copy of the school or program catalog.
  • State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background checks (CBC). Follow the instructions on the Criminal History Record Check Authorization form to arrange to be fingerprinted. Submit the forms and payment to the State Bureau of Identification (SBI). Do not send these forms to the Board office.
    • Allow at least four weeks for the SBI to send criminal history records to the Board office.
    • A new criminal background check is required even if the person recently had a criminal background check done for some other reason.
  • An official exam score report to be sent directly from either the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) or the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) to the Board office.
    • A score report received from you, rather than directly from FSMTB or NCBTMB, is unofficial. If you submit an unofficial copy of the score report, the Board office will not issue a license until it receives the official score report from FSMTB or NCBTMB.
    • To request NCBTMB exam scores, login to your Career Management System profile on www.ncbtmb.org. The Score Report Request form is available on your profile.
    • For information on FSMTB’s MBLEx exam, see www.fsmtb.org.
  • A copy of your current CPR certification card (front and back). Online CPR courses are NOT accepted.
  • State/Jurisdiction Licensure Verification sent directly to the Board office from each state or jurisdiction in which you currently hold or have ever held a license.


Related Topics:  , , , , ,