When to Apply
You must be at least 18 years old to apply for a Delaware Massage Therapist license.
Apply by “original license” if you have passed the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) exam and you are:
- not licensed by any other jurisdiction (state, District of Columbia, or U.S. territory), OR
- licensed by another jurisdiction but you have not practiced continuously in that jurisdiction for at least two years, OR
- currently licenses as a Certified Massage Technician or Temporary Massage Technician in Delaware.
Apply by “reciprocity” if you:
- are currently licensed in another jurisdiction AND have practiced continuously in that jurisdiction for at least two years, AND
- have passed the NCBTMB exam.
Information on How to Apply for a License in DELPROS
All applications are submitted our online system DELPROS. We no longer accept paper applications.
PRIOR TO APPLYING
In order to apply for a license or submit a service request, you must first have a DELPROS user account. To LOG IN or CREATE a DELPROS (Delaware Professional Regulation Online Services) user account:
- Go to: https://delpros.delaware.gov/OH_HomePage.
- Click GO on the Apply/Manage a License and Service Requests tile.
- If you do not have a DELPROS user account, click the REGISTER button on the left side of page for NEW USERS.
- If you already have a DELPROS user account, enter your email address and password on the right side for EXISTING USERS and click the LOGIN button.
DELPROS allows you to save your incomplete application and return to it later to finish the process. You only have six (6) months to submit your application once you begin.
- If you do not submit your application within six months of starting it, you will be required to restart the entire online application again.
You may check the status of your application online throughout the entire application process by using the “View Application Status” feature in DELPROS on your e-License dashboard.
KNOW YOUR REQUIREMENTS AND COLLECT YOUR DOCUMENTS
- Know the requirements for the license you are pursuing.
- Request and gather all documents required to upload on the Attachments page. All information and forms are located on your profession’s webpages.
ATTACHING AND ACKNOWLEDGING DOCUMENTS
On the ATTACHMENTS page of your application, you may be instructed to:
- either “attach” or “upload” the required document(s) directly to your application. This means you will find the document(s) saved on your computer or device and upload it to your application.
- click “acknowledge” . This means you will either mail the documents yourself or request the “third-party” to mail the document(s) directly to the Board office.
- Examples of “third-party forms” are transcripts from schools, employment verifications from a supervisor, or license verifications from another state.
- Forms requiring a supervisor signature, seal, or notary may have to be MAILED to the Board office directly UNLESS the document specifically indicates to UPLOAD the document.
Requirements for Original License and Reciprocity
In addition to submitting the application and fee in DELPROS, you must submit:
- State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background checks (CBC). Follow the instructions on the Criminal History Record Check Authorization form to arrange to be fingerprinted. Submit the forms and payment to the State Bureau of Identification (SBI). Do not send these forms to the Board office.
- Allow at least four weeks for the SBI to send criminal history records to the Board office.
- A new criminal background check is required even if the person recently had a criminal background check done for some other reason.
- An official exam score report to be sent directly from either the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) or the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) to the Board office.
- A score report received from you, rather than directly from FSMTB or NCBTMB, is unofficial. If you submit an unofficial copy of the score report, the Board office will not issue a license until it receives the official score report from FSMTB or NCBTMB.
- To request NCBTMB exam scores, login to your Career Management System profile on www.ncbtmb.org. The Score Report Request form is available on your profile.
- For information on FSMTB’s MBLEx exam, see www.fsmtb.org.
- A copy of your current CPR certification card (front and back). Online CPR courses are NOT accepted.
- State/Jurisdiction Licensure Verification sent directly to the Board office from each state or jurisdiction in which you currently hold or have ever held a license.
Additional Requirements for Original License
- An official transcript sent directly from your massage school or approved program to the Board office. The transcript must show contact information for the school or program director. See Section 4.0 of the Board’s Rules and Regulations.
- The transcript must show that you have completed 500 hours of supervised in-class study as a student in a school which trains massage or bodywork therapists, or as a student in an approved program of massage or bodywork therapy. The school or program of training must include a curriculum of no less than:
- 100 hours of anatomy and physiology
- 300 hours of technique and theory of massage or bodywork therapy
- 75 hours of elective courses in the field of massage therapy
- 25 hours of ethics, law and contraindications.
- Proof that the State has approved the school or program.
- An example of the proof required is a copy of the certificate of approval issued by the State. You may obtain the certificate from either your school or the State agency responsible for approving the school/program.
- The approval must cover the period during which you attended the school/program.
- A copy of the school or program catalog.