The documentation that you are required to submit in support of your application depends in part on the type of application you are filing. Therefore, it is important to correctly identify the type of application:
- Original License – Apply for an original license if you
- have certification from the American Board of Genetic Counselors (ABGC) or the American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics (ABMGG).
- Provisional License – Apply for a provisional license if ABGC has granted you Active Candidate Status.
Requirements for All Applicants
The following summarizes the documentation requirements for all applicants. The application form may request additional documentation based on your answers to the questions.
- Enclose the non-refundable processing fee by check or money order made payable to “State of Delaware.”
- Complete the Criminal History Record Check Authorization form to request State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background checks. Follow the instructions on the form to arrange to be fingerprinted.
- Complete, sign and submit the Delaware Child Protection Registry Request Form to the Department of Services for Children, Youth & Their Families following the instructions on the form.
- If you already have ABGC or ABMGG certification, arrange for the Council office to receive verification that you are certified as either a genetic counselor by the ABGC or ABMGG or a medical geneticist by the ABMG. The certifying organization must send the verification directly to the Council office.
- If you have ever been licensed to practice genetic counseling in another jurisdiction, arrange for the Council office to receive a “letter of good standing” sent directly from each jurisdiction where you have ever held a genetic counselor license. Internet or faxed verifications will not be accepted because the state seal must be affixed to the document.
Additional Requirement for Provisional License Applicants
When you become an active candidate for ABGC certification, you may apply for a provisional license to practice genetic counseling.
- A provisional license is valid for up to one year from date of issuance.
- When you pass the certification examination, you must apply for an original license or license by reciprocity. When your original or reciprocity license is issued, the provisional license will automatically expire.
- If you fail the examination, you must notify the Council office. You may renew the provisional license one time only.
Arrange for the Council office to receive verification of your active candidate status, sent directly from ABGC to the Council office. To request verification of active candidate status, see ABGC’s Credential Verification form and instructions on ABMGG’s Verification of Certification Status web page.