You may apply for Genetic Counselor licensure by Original or Provisional methods. The documentation that you are required to submit depends on how you are applying.
- Apply for an original license if you have certification from the American Board of Genetic Counselors (ABGC) or the American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics (ABMGG).
- Apply for a provisional license if ABGC has granted you Active Candidate Status.
Information on How to Apply for a License in DELPROS
All applications are submitted our online system DELPROS. We no longer accept paper applications.
PRIOR TO APPLYING
In order to apply for a license or submit a service request, you must first have a DELPROS user account. To LOG IN or CREATE a DELPROS (Delaware Professional Regulation Online Services) user account:
- Go to: https://delpros.delaware.gov/OH_HomePage.
- Click GO on the Apply/Manage a License and Service Requests tile.
- If you do not have a DELPROS user account, click the REGISTER button on the left side of page for NEW USERS.
- If you already have a DELPROS user account, enter your email address and password on the right side for EXISTING USERS and click the LOGIN button.
DELPROS allows you to save your incomplete application and return to it later to finish the process. You only have six (6) months to submit your application once you begin.
- If you do not submit your application within six months of starting it, you will be required to restart the entire online application again.
You may check the status of your application online throughout the entire application process by using the “View Application Status” feature in DELPROS on your e-License dashboard.
KNOW YOUR REQUIREMENTS AND COLLECT YOUR DOCUMENTS
- Know the requirements for the license you are pursuing.
- Request and gather all documents required to upload on the Attachments page. All information and forms are located on your profession’s webpages.
ATTACHING AND ACKNOWLEDGING DOCUMENTS
On the ATTACHMENTS page of your application, you may be instructed to:
- either “attach” or “upload” the required document(s) directly to your application. This means you will find the document(s) saved on your computer or device and upload it to your application.
- click “acknowledge” . This means you will either mail the documents yourself or request the “third-party” to mail the document(s) directly to the Board office.
- Examples of “third-party forms” are transcripts from schools, employment verifications from a supervisor, or license verifications from another state.
- Forms requiring a supervisor signature, seal, or notary may have to be MAILED to the Board office directly UNLESS the document specifically indicates to UPLOAD the document.
Requirements for All Applicants
In addition to submitting the application and fee in DELPROS, you must submit:
- State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background checks (CBC). Follow the instructions on the Criminal History Record Check Authorization form to arrange to be fingerprinted. Submit the forms and payment to the State Bureau of Identification (SBI). Do not send these forms to the Board office.
- Allow at least four weeks for the SBI to send criminal history records to the Board office.
- A new criminal background check is required even if the person recently had a criminal background check done for some other reason.
- Verification that you are certified as either a genetic counselor by the ABGC or ABMGG or a medical geneticist by the ABMG if you already hold one of these certifications. The certifying organization must send the verification directly to the Council office.
- State/Jurisdiction Licensure Verification sent directly to the Board office from each state or jurisdiction in which you currently hold or have ever held a Genetic Counselor license.
Requirement for Provisional License Applicants
When you become an active candidate for ABGC certification, you may apply for a provisional license to practice genetic counseling.
- A provisional license is valid for up to one year from date of issuance.
- When you pass the certification examination, you must apply for an original license or license by reciprocity. When your original or reciprocity license is issued, the provisional license will automatically expire.
- If you fail the examination, you must notify the Council office. You may renew the provisional license one time only.
In addition to submitting the application, fee, and supporting documentation required in the previous section, in DELPROS, you must also submit: