When to File
Before you apply for licensure as a midwifery practitioner, you must complete a course in pharmacology and IV therapy acceptable to the Midwifery Advisory Council.
The documentation that you are required to submit in support of your application depends in part on the type of application you are filing.
Requirements for All Applicants
Please read all instructions carefully before completing and submitting your application. If your application is not complete within 12 months of filing, it may be considered abandoned and discarded.
The following summarizes the documentation requirements for all applicants. The application form may request additional documentation based on your answers to the questions.
- Enclose the non-refundable processing fee by check or money order made payable to “State of Delaware.”
- If you now hold, or have ever held, a Midwifery Practitioner license in any jurisdiction (state, U.S. territory, District of Columbia) other than Delaware, arrange for the Council office to receive a Verification of Midwifery Practitioner License form from each jurisdiction where you have held a license.
- Before forwarding the form, check whether the jurisdiction requires a fee.
- The Council office must receive the completed verification directly from the other jurisdiction. The jurisdiction’s seal must be affixed to the form.
- Internet or faxed verifications will not be accepted.
- Complete the Criminal History Record Check Authorization form to request State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background checks. Follow the instructions on the form to arrange to be fingerprinted. You must meet this requirement even if you recently had a criminal background check done for some other reason.
- Complete, sign and submit the Delaware Child Protection Registry Request Form to the Department of Services for Children, Youth & Their Families following the instructions on the form.
- Enclose a copy of your high school transcript or diploma, or evidence that you have completed a higher level of education.
- Enclose a copy of your birth certificate, passport, an identification card or driver’s license issued by your state of residence showing that you are at least 21 years old.
- Submit certificates showing that you have completed a current Basic Life Support (BLS) course and a current Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) that includes hands-on skills training.
- Submit documentation that you have completed a course in pharmacology and IV therapy acceptable to the Council.
Additional Requirement for CPM Applicants
Arrange for the Council office to receive verification that you have a valid CPM credential from North American Registry of Midwives (NARM) or its equivalent or successor. The organization must send the verification directly to the Council office.
Additional Requirement for CM Applicants
Arrange for the Council office to receive verification that you have a valid CM credential from American Midwifery Certification Board (AMCB) or its equivalent or successor. The organization must send the verification directly to the Council office.