RECOMMENDED BROWSERS - The following browsers are recommended when using DELPROS: Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge.
Click HERE for browser download instructions.

If you are unable to reach us by phone, submit your inquiry via email at Please read the important COVID-19 information from the Division of Professional Regulation. More Info logo
Division of
Professional Regulation

Physician Assistant Licensure

Important Information About Physician Assistant Prescriptive Authority

Prescriptive Authority enables you to prescribe medication under the supervision of a licensed physician in Delaware. You may apply during your application process or later.

  • To apply later, submit a Service Request from your Dashboard in DELPROS online portal.
  • Prescriptive authority alone does not confer the right to prescribe controlled substances in Delaware. To prescribe controlled substances, you also need a Controlled Substance Registration (CSR). See the Important information about Prescribing Controlled Substances section below.
  • If you apply for your Physician Assistant license and CSR at the same time, the CSR application will be processed after your prescriptive authority is approved. When your Delaware CSR is approved, you must then submit for a federal DEA registration for Delaware.

Information on How to Apply for a License in DELPROS

Applications are processed in DELPROS (Delaware Professional Regulation Online Services). The online license application process is simple and provides you with clear instructions throughout each stage of the application process. We strongly recommend that you understand what the requirements are for the license you are pursuing. Then, request and gather the documents you need before you begin the application process. Most of the information and forms are on this website. For further clarification of requirements, refer to your profession’s License Law and the Rules and Regulations.

In order to apply for a license or service request, you must have a DELPROS account. To create a new account or log into an existing DELPROS account, follow the instructions at the beginning of the application process. As part of the final steps of the application process, DELPROS instructs you to either “attach” or “upload” the required documents directly to your application and/or to “acknowledge” that you will either send them in yourself or make arrangements for “third-party” documents/forms to be sent to the Board office. Examples of “third-party forms” are transcripts from schools, employment verifications from a supervisor, and license verifications from another state. Official license verifications and/or transcripts are acceptable when received electronically directly from the State Board or school/institution. Note that forms requiring a signature, seal, or notary must be MAILED to the Board office directly UNLESS the document specifically indicates to UPLOAD the document. All documents received by mail are scanned and attached to the appropriate license records.

In DELPROS, you have the ability to save your application and return to it to edit/update information or upload documents for up to six months. However, if you do not submit your application within six months, you will have to restart your online application process. The Board office begins processing applications shortly after submission in the portal. You may check the status of your application in the DELPROS system throughout the whole process and we will correspond with you by email. The requirements for this license type are provided in the following section(s).

Requirements for All Applications

In addition to submitting the application and fee in DELPROS, you must submit:

  • State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background checks (CBC). Follow the instructions on the Criminal History Record Check Authorization form to arrange to be fingerprinted. Submit the forms and payment to the State Bureau of Identification (SBI). Do not send these forms to the Board office.
    • Allow at least four weeks for the SBI to send criminal history records to the Board office.
    • A new criminal background check is required even if the person recently had a criminal background check done for some other reason.
  • State/Jurisdiction Licensure Verification sent directly to the Board office from each state or jurisdiction in which you currently hold or have ever held a license.
  • A self-query from the National Practitioner Data Banks (NPDB) website at The self-query report will be mailed to your address. When you receive the report, mail (do not fax) the original report to the Board office.

Requirement for FCVS Applicants

Delaware accepts the Federation Credentials Verification Service (FCVS) of the Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB). For more information, see

In addition to submitting the application, fee, and supporting documentation required in the previous section, in DELPROS, you must also submit:

  • Your Physician Assistant Information Profile from FCVS.

Requirements for Non-FCVS Applicants

In addition to submitting the application, fee, and supporting documentation required in the Requirements for All Applicants section, in DELPROS, you must also submit:

  • A copy of your Physician Assistant diploma.
  • An official Verification of Certification from NCCPA, sent directly to the Board office.

Continuing Medical Education Requirement

Submit proof of 100 hours of continuing medical education (CME) when…

  • you hold a current Physician Assistant license in another jurisdiction or you are reapplying for Delaware Physician Assistant licensure that expired
  • your CME within the past two years is current.

The CME must consist of 50 hours of AMA Category I CME (Section 13.2.2 of the Board’s Rules and Regulations).

Temporary Licensure

The temporary permit allows you to practice until you have passed the Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination (PANCE) and your permanent license is issued. You may be granted a temporary license if you have:

  • graduated from an accredited PA program and otherwise meet all the licensure requirements except for passing the PANCE, and
  • registered to take the next available PANCE.

The temporary license remains valid until the examination results are available. If you fail the PANCE, the temporary license immediately becomes null and void and you must cease practicing as a PA.

To apply for a temporary permit, submit the fee for Physician Assistant Temporary Permit in DELPROS.

Important Information about Prescribing Controlled Substances

If you receive prescriptive authority, you may prescribe only non-controlled substances. To prescribe controlled substances in Delaware, you must have:

  • at least one supervising physician for each individual business/practice where you practice in Delaware
  • Delaware CSR
  • Federal DEA registration for Delaware (a DEA registration in another jurisdiction is not sufficient)

If you practice at more than one business/practice, you need only a single CSR to prescribe at all of the locations.  However, every Delaware location where controlled substances are dispensed/stored must be covered by a CSR.  If no other practitioner (i.e., physician, PA or APRN) holds a Delaware CSR for a location where you will store/dispense, as well as prescribe, controlled substances, you must submit an additional CSR application for the location.

To apply for a CSR(s), see Controlled Substances Registration – Physician Assistants. For Federal DEA registration, see DEA New Registration Applications.


Related Topics:  , , , ,