Click HERE for Important Information for Licensees struggling with mental health or substance abuse issues.

If you are unable to reach us by phone, submit your inquiry via email at More Info logo
Division of
Professional Regulation

Controlled Substances Registration – Physician Assistants

The information below applies to Physician Assistants only.

General Information

  • You must hold an active Delaware Physician Assistant (PA) license before your application for controlled substance registration (CSR) can be submitted.
    • If you do not already hold a PA license, apply for a PA license in DELPROS online portal.
  • Your Delaware CSR certificate and all CSR-related correspondence must be either emailed or uploaded into DELPROS.
  • You need only one Delaware CSR to prescribe controlled substances in Delaware even if you prescribe controlled substances at more than one Delaware business/practice or more than one location of a business/practice. However, every Delaware location where controlled substances are dispensed/stored must be covered by a CSR. If no other practitioner (e.g., physician), physician assistant or APRN holds a Delaware CSR for a location where you will store/dispense or prescribe controlled substances, you must apply for an additional CSR for the location.
  • You must submit a Service Request in DELPROS to report any new/additional collaborating physicians. See Reporting Collaborating Physician Changes below.
  • When your Delaware CSR is approved, you must then apply for a federal DEA registration for Delaware. You must have both a Delaware CSR and DEA registration for Delaware before you prescribe controlled substances in Delaware. A DEA registration in another jurisdiction is not sufficient for prescribing controlled substances in Delaware.

Information on How to Apply for a License in DELPROS

All applications are submitted our online system DELPROS. We no longer accept paper applications.


In order to apply for a license or submit a service request, you must first have a DELPROS user account. To LOG IN or CREATE a DELPROS (Delaware Professional Regulation Online Services) user account:

  1. Go to:
  2. Click GO on the Apply/Manage a License and Service Requests tile.
  3. If you do not have a DELPROS user account, click the REGISTER button on the left side of page for NEW USERS.
  4. If you already have a DELPROS user account, enter your email address and password on the right side for EXISTING USERS and click the LOGIN button.

DELPROS allows you to save your incomplete application and return to it later to finish the process. You only have six (6) months to submit your application once you begin.

  • If you do not submit your application within six months of starting it, you will be required to restart the entire online application again.

You may check the status of your application online throughout the entire application process by using the “View Application Status” feature in DELPROS on your e-License dashboard.


  1. Know the requirements for the license you are pursuing.
  2. Request and gather all documents required to upload on the Attachments page. All information and forms are located on your profession’s webpages.


On the ATTACHMENTS page of your application, you may be instructed to:

  • either “attach” or “upload” the required document(s) directly to your application. This means you will find the document(s) saved on your computer or device and upload it to your application.
  • click “acknowledge.” This means you will either have to mail the documents yourself or request the “third-party” mail the document(s) directly to the Board office.
    • Examples of “third-party forms” are transcripts from schools, employment verifications from a supervisor, and license verifications from another state.
  • Forms requiring a supervisor signature, seal, or notary may have to be MAILED to the Board office directly UNLESS the document specifically indicates to UPLOAD the document.

The requirements for this license type are provided in the following section(s).


In addition to submitting the application and fee in DELPROS, you must:

  • Complete the one-hour Mandatory Course training on Delaware law, regulation and programs on prescribing and distribution of controlled substances.
  • You will be required to ACKNOWLEDGE that you have completed the required Mandatory Course during the application.

Reporting Collaborating Physician Changes

  • If you have only one collaborating physician and the collaborating relationship terminates, your CSR becomes null and void. You must notify the Office of Controlled Substances and return your certificate.
  • If your collaborating Physician(s) changes—including new/additional collaborators or departing collaborators—you must submit a Collaborating Physician Change service request to report the change. For example, if you already hold a Delaware CSR and you take a second job at another Delaware practice where you will prescribe (but not store/dispense) controlled substances, you must report your collaborating physician at the new job even though you do not need another Delaware CSR in this situation.


Related Topics:  , , , ,