The information below applies only to Optometrists.
- You must hold an active Delaware Optometrist license before your application for controlled substance registration (CSR) can be submitted.
- If you do not already hold an Optometrist license, apply for your Therapeutic Optometrist license DELPROS online portal.
- Your Delaware CSR certificate and all CSR-related correspondence must be either emailed or uploaded into DELPROS.
- When your Delaware CSR is approved, you must then file for a federal DEA registration for Delaware. You must have both a Delaware CSR and DEA registration for Delaware before you prescribe controlled substances in Delaware.
- Your prescriptive authority for controlled substances is limited to:
- Schedule II controlled substances containing hydrocodone, up to a maximum 72-hour supply
- Schedules III, IV, and V controlled substances up to a maximum 72-hour supply.
- You are not permitted to store or dispense controlled substances. For full information on the prescriptive authority of optometrists, see 24 Del. C. §2101 (3).
Information on How to Apply for a License in DELPROS
All applications are submitted our online system DELPROS. We no longer accept paper applications.
PRIOR TO APPLYING
In order to apply for a license or submit a service request, you must first have a DELPROS user account. To LOG IN or CREATE a DELPROS (Delaware Professional Regulation Online Services) user account:
- Go to: https://delpros.delaware.gov/OH_HomePage.
- Click GO on the Apply/Manage a License and Service Requests tile.
- If you do not have a DELPROS user account, click the REGISTER button on the left side of page for NEW USERS.
- If you already have a DELPROS user account, enter your email address and password on the right side for EXISTING USERS and click the LOGIN button.
DELPROS allows you to save your incomplete application and return to it later to finish the process. You only have six (6) months to submit your application once you begin.
- If you do not submit your application within six months of starting it, you will be required to restart the entire online application again.
You may check the status of your application online throughout the entire application process by using the “View Application Status” feature in DELPROS on your e-License dashboard.
KNOW YOUR REQUIREMENTS AND COLLECT YOUR DOCUMENTS
- Know the requirements for the license you are pursuing.
- Request and gather all documents required to upload on the Attachments page. All information and forms are located on your profession’s webpages.
ATTACHING AND ACKNOWLEDGING DOCUMENTS
On the ATTACHMENTS page of your application, you may be instructed to:
- either “attach” or “upload” the required document(s) directly to your application. This means you will find the document(s) saved on your computer or device and upload it to your application.
- click “acknowledge.” This means you will either have to mail the documents yourself or request the “third-party” mail the document(s) directly to the Board office.
- Examples of “third-party forms” are transcripts from schools, employment verifications from a supervisor, and license verifications from another state.
- Forms requiring a supervisor signature, seal, or notary may have to be MAILED to the Board office directly UNLESS the document specifically indicates to UPLOAD the document.
The requirements for this license type are provided in the following section(s).
In addition to submitting the application and fee in DELPROS, you must complete:
- Complete the one-hour Mandatory Course training on Delaware law, regulation and programs on prescribing and distribution of controlled substances. Portions of the training do not apply to Optometrists (e.g., storing/dispensing controlled substances).
- You will be required to ACKNOWLEDGE that you have completed the required Mandatory Course during the application.