These instructions apply only to Optometrists.
- You must hold a Delaware Optometrist license before your application for controlled substance registration (CSR) will be processed. If you do not already hold an Optometrist license, you may apply concurrently for your Therapeutic Optometrist license and CSR, or you may apply for the CSR later.
- If you apply for your Therapeutic Optometrist license and CSR at the same time, you should receive your CSR 3-4 weeks after your professional license. Please allow the 3-4 weeks to elapse before calling the office.
- Your Delaware CSR certificate and all CSR-related correspondence must be mailed to the same address as your Optometrist license.
- When your Delaware CSR is approved, you must then file for a federal DEA registration for Delaware. You must have both a Delaware CSR and DEA registration for Delaware before you prescribe controlled substances in Delaware.
- Your prescriptive authority for controlled substances is limited to:
- Schedule II controlled substances containing hydrocodone, up to a maximum 72-hour supply
- Schedules III, IV, and V controlled substances up to a maximum 72-hour supply.
- You are not permitted to store or dispense controlled substances. For full information on the prescriptive authority of optometrists, see 24 Del. C. §2101 (3).
Requirements for All Applicants
- Enclose the non-refundable processing fee by check or money order made payable to “State of Delaware.”
- Complete the one-hour Mandatory Course training on Delaware law, regulation and programs on prescribing and distribution of controlled substances. Portions of the training do not apply to Optometrists (e.g., storing/dispensing controlled substances).