Type of Application
The documentation that you must submit to support your application depends in part on the type of application you are filing. Use these guidelines to identify the type of application:
- Acupuncture Practitioner – Select this license if you have earned a Diplomate in Acupuncture from the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM) or an equivalent organization.
- Eastern Medicine Practitioner - Select this license if you have earned a Diplomate in Oriental Medicine from the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM) or an equivalent organization. The Acupuncture Advisory Council may waive this Diplomate requirement under specific circumstances as outlined in 24 Del. C. §1798 (c). See the Requirements for All Applicants section below.
THEN apply by…
|do not hold a current license of the same type in another jurisdiction (state, D.C. or U.S. territory)
- hold a current license of the same type in another jurisdiction (state, D.C. or U.S. territory), and
- a jurisdiction where you hold a current license has licensing requirements that are at least equal to Delaware’s requirements, and
- no outstanding or unresolved complaints are pending against you
You can be licensed by reciprocity only if you meet all three requirements. For example, if the Council determines that no jurisdiction where you hold a current license has licensure requirements equal to those of Delaware, you would have to meet the requirements for original licensure, instead of reciprocity.
Requirements for All Applications
- Enclose the non-refundable processing fee by check or money order made payable to “State of Delaware.”
- If you hold a current Delaware Acupuncture license and are applying to upgrade to an Eastern Medicine Practitioner license, enclose the upgrade fee instead of the full processing fee.
- Complete the Criminal History Record Check Authorization form to request State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background checks. Follow the instructions on the form to arrange to be fingerprinted.
- Complete, sign and submit the Delaware Child Protection Registry Request Form to the Department of Services for Children, Youth & Their Families following the instructions on the form.
- Submit proof of your eastern medicine/acupuncture education as follows:
IF you are applying for…
AND IF you…
THEN arrange for the Board office to receive verification of your:
||Diplomate in Acupuncture from the NCCAOM or an equivalent organization.
|Eastern Medicine Practitioner
||have a Diplomate in Oriental Medicine
||Diplomate in Oriental Medicine from the NCCAOM or an equivalent organization.
|do not have a Diplomate in Oriental Medicine
||education in acupuncture or eastern medicine sent directly from the educational institution to the Board office. The Council will determine if the Diplomate requirement may be waived under specific circumstances as outlined in 24 Del.C. §1798 (c).
- Arrange for the Board office to receive a certificate verifying that you have completed a course or passed an examination in clean needle technique (CNT).
- If you completed CNT before 1990 as part of the NCCA (predecessor of the NCCAOM) exam in acupuncture, the Council will accept the NCCA certification in acupuncture (achieved in 1990 or before) in lieu of the above-mentioned course certificate.
- To request this verification from NCCAOM, complete the Clean Needle Technique Certificate/Verification Request Form available on www.ccaom.org. Click “Clean Needle Technique Course” and then “Certificate/Verification Request.”
- If you have ever been licensed to practice acupuncture or eastern medicine in another jurisdiction (state, U.S. territory or District of Columbia), arrange for a letter of good standing to be sent to the Board directly from each jurisdiction where you hold, or have ever held, an acupuncture or eastern medicine practitioner license.
- The jurisdiction’s seal must be affixed to the verification. Internet or faxed verifications will not be accepted.
Additional Requirement for Reciprocity Applicants
Submit copies of the licensing/practice statutes and regulations pertaining to the practice of acupuncture or eastern medicine from the jurisdiction(s) where you are licensed. The Council will determine whether the licensing requirements of any of the jurisdiction(s) are substantially equivalent to those of Delaware.