When applying for a Delaware Respiratory Care Practitioner license, the documents you must submit depend on whether you are:
- applying for your first Delaware license, or
- reapplying for a Delaware license that lapsed over a year ago.
If you are reapplying, the requirements depend on whether or not you have been actively practicing respiratory care outside Delaware in the year before you reapply.
Requirements for All Applicants
These requirements pertain to all applications—both new applications and reapplications. All auxiliary forms you need are included with the application.
- Enclose the non-refundable processing fee by check or money order made payable to “State of Delaware.”
- If you now hold, or have ever held, a Respiratory Care Practitioner license in any jurisdiction other than Delaware, arrange for the Council office to receive a Verification of Respiratory Care Practitioner License form from each jurisdiction where you have held a license.
- Before forwarding the form, check whether the jurisdiction requires a fee.
- The Council office must receive the completed verification directly from the other jurisdiction. The jurisdiction’s seal must be affixed to the form.
- Internet or faxed verifications will not be accepted.
- Complete the Criminal History Record Check Authorization form to request State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background checks. Follow the instructions on the authorization form to arrange to be fingerprinted. You must meet this requirement even if you recently had a criminal background check done for some other reason.
- Complete, sign and submit the Delaware Child Protection Registry Request Form to the Department of Services for Children, Youth & Their Families following the instructions on the form.
Additional Requirements for Applications Other Than Reapplications
These requirements pertain to applications for an initial Delaware license. They are in addition to the requirements in the Requirements for All Applications section above.
- Submit an 8″ X 11 1/2″ copy of your Respiratory Care Practitioner diploma.
- Arrange for the Council office to receive a Verification of Respiratory Care Practitioner Education form from each program you attended.
- The school must send the completed form directly to the Council office. The school’s seal must be affixed to the form. If no seal is available, the form must be notarized.
- Internet verifications or faxed verifications will not be accepted.
- Arrange for the Council office to receive a credential verification letter sent directly from the National Board of Respiratory Care (NBRC) to the Council office. To request verification, follow the instructions on the NBRC website at Credentialed Practitioners.
Additional Requirements for Reapplications
These requirements apply only if you previously held a Delaware license that lapsed over a year ago. They are in addition to the requirements in the Requirements for All Applications section above.
IF you have…
AND submit proof that you…
not actively practiced respiratory care during the year before reapplying
||submit documentation from the NBRC that you passed the NBRC Entry Exam during the two years before your reapplication
||completed 20 hours of continuing education in the two years before your reapplication.
|actively practiced respiratory care during the year before reapplying
||enter information on the application showing that you had at least 500 hours of active practice during the year before your reapplication
For more information on…