Click HERE for Important Information for Licensees struggling with mental health or substance abuse issues

If you are unable to reach us by phone, submit your inquiry via email at More Info logo
Division of
Professional Regulation

Dentist License

When to Apply

Apply for Delaware Dentist licensure if you are not contracted to practice at a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) in Delaware. If you have an FQHC contract, see Dentist-FQHC Provisional License instructions.

Required Examinations

All applicants for Dentist licensure, regardless of years in practice, must pass the Delaware Practical Board Examination in dentistry and the Delaware Jurisprudence Examination. For full information on both exams, see the Examinations webpage.

Information on How to Apply for a License in DELPROS

All applications are submitted our online system DELPROS. We no longer accept paper applications.

Prior To Applying

In order to apply for a license or submit a service request, you must first have a DELPROS user account . To LOG IN or CREATE a DELPROS (Delaware Professional Regulation Online Services) user account:

  1. Go to:
  2. Click GO on the Apply/Manage a License and Service Requests tile.
  3. If you do not have a DELPROS user account, click the REGISTER button on the left side of page for NEW USERS.
  4. If you already have a DELPROS user account, enter your email address and password on the right side for EXISTING USERS and click the LOGIN button.

DELPROS allows you to save your incomplete application and return to it later to finish the process. You only have six (6) months to submit your application once you begin.

  • If you do not submit your application within six months of starting it, you will be required to restart the entire online application again.

You may check the status of your application online throughout the entire application process by using the “View Application Status” feature in DELPROS on your e-License dashboard.

Know Your Requirements and Collect Your Documents

  1. Know the requirements for the license you are pursuing.
  2. Request and gather all documents required to upload on the Attachments page. All information and forms are located on your profession’s webpages.

Attaching and Acknowledging Documents

On the ATTACHMENTS page of your application, you may be instructed to:

  • either “attach” or “upload” the required document(s) directly to your application. This means you will find the document(s) saved on your computer or device and upload it to your application, or
  • click “acknowledge” . This means you will either have to mail the documents yourself or request the “third-party” mail the document(s) directly to the Board office.
    • Examples of “third-party forms” are transcripts from schools, employment verifications from a supervisor, and license verifications from another state.
  • Forms requiring a supervisor signature, seal, or notary may have to be MAILED to the Board office directly UNLESS the document specifically indicates to UPLOAD the document.

The requirements for this license type are provided in the following section(s).

Requirements Before the Practical Examination

In addition to the application and fees (application fee, exam fee, and possible late fee, if after deadline) in DELPROS, you must submit:

  • A copy of your current cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification card. The Board office must receive this document by the exam deadline.
  • An official transcript from Board-recognized undergraduate college or university, sent directly from the school to the Board office by the exam deadline.
  • An official transcript from your CODA-accredited dental college or university showing your degree and date of graduation. The transcript must be received directly from the school by the exam deadline.

When the deadline for the exam date passes, the Board office will send examination packets to all candidates who applied on time and whose documentation it has received. Candidates who apply late will receive their examination packets only after the Board office confirms availability of a seat and receives all required documentation.

Requirements After the Practical Examination

You must submit the following items after you have passed the Delaware Practical Board Examination in order to be considered for licensure:

  • Your National Board Examination score report, sent directly from the Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations to the Board office. See Score Report Request.
  • Proof of experience or residency by ONE of the following:
    • Proof (such as a letter from the sponsoring institution) that you have one year of experience as a dental intern in a CODA-accredited general practice residency sent directly from the sponsoring institution to the Board office.
    • Tax form W-2s or other proof that you have practiced actively for three years in another jurisdiction (state, U.S. territory or District of Columbia).
    • Proof (such as a letter from the sponsoring institution) that you have completed four or more years in a CODA-approved specialty residency, sent directly from the sponsoring institution to the Board office.
  • If you have been in a CODA-approved specialty residency less than four years, submit proof (such as a letter from the sponsoring institution) that the program you’re in…
    • meets the goals, objectives, proficiencies and competencies set forth in Standard 2.4 of the CODA Accreditation Standards for Advanced Education Programs in General Practice Residency, ©2007 (Section 4.3 of the Board’s Rules and Regulations), and
    • includes a rotation of at least 70 hours in anesthesia and a rotation of at least 70 hours in medicine.
  • State/Jurisdiction Licensure Verification sent directly to the Board office from each state or jurisdiction in which you currently hold or have ever held a license.
  • State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background checks (CBC). Follow the instructions on the Criminal History Record Check Authorization form to arrange to be fingerprinted. Submit the forms and payment to the State Bureau of Identification (SBI). Do not send these forms to the Board office.
    • Allow at least four weeks for the SBI to send criminal history records to the Board office.
    • A new criminal background check is required even if the person recently had a criminal background check done for some other reason.

Related Topics:  , , , ,