What is Limited Licensure?
Funeral Director Limited licensure is available only to funeral directors validly licensed by another jurisdiction (U.S. state, possession, territory or District of Columbia) provided that the jurisdiction where he or she is licensed grants a similar privilege to Delaware-licensed funeral directors (24 Del. C. §3108). Currently, Delaware has limited licensure agreements only with the States of Maryland and Pennsylvania.
Funeral Director Limited licensure allows you to:
- make a removal of a dead human body in Delaware
- return the body to another state or country
- return dead bodies from another state or country to Delaware for final disposition
- complete the family history portion of the death certificate
- sign the death certificate in your capacity as a licensed funeral director
- execute any other procedures necessary to arrange for the final disposition of a dead human body.
Requirements for All Applicants
- Enclose the non-refundable processing fee for Funeral Director Limited by check or money order made payable to “State of Delaware.”
- Arrange for the Board office to receive verification of your current licensure as a funeral service practitioner in either Maryland or Pennsylvania, sent directly from each state to the Board office.