What is Limited Licensure?
Funeral Director Limited licensure is available only to funeral directors validly licensed by another jurisdiction (U.S. state, possession, territory or District of Columbia) provided that the jurisdiction where he or she is licensed grants a similar privilege to Delaware-licensed funeral directors (24 Del. C. §3108). Currently, Delaware only has limited licensure agreements with the States of Maryland and Pennsylvania.
Funeral Director Limited licensure allows you to:
- make a removal of a dead human body in Delaware
- return the body to another state or country
- return dead bodies from another state or country to Delaware for final disposition
- complete the family history portion of the death certificate
- sign the death certificate in your capacity as a licensed funeral director
- execute any other procedures necessary to arrange for the final disposition of a dead human body.
Information on How to Apply for a License in DELPROS
All applications are submitted our online system DELPROS. We no longer accept paper applications.
PRIOR TO APPLYING
In order to apply for a license or submit a service request, you must first have a DELPROS user account. To LOG IN or CREATE a DELPROS (Delaware Professional Regulation Online Services) use r account:
- Go to: https://delpros.delaware.gov/OH_HomePage.
- Click GO on the Apply/Manage a License and Service Requests tile.
- If you do not have a DELPROS user account, click the REGISTER button on the left side of page for NEW USERS.
- If you already have a DELPROS user account, enter your email address and password on the right side for EXISTING USERS and click the LOGIN button.
DELPROS allows you to save your incomplete application and return to it later to finish the process. You only have six (6) months to submit your application once you begin.
- If you do not submit your application within six months of starting it, you will be required to restart the entire online application again.
You may check the status of your application online throughout the entire application process by using the “View Application Status” feature in DELPROS on your e-License dashboard.
KNOW YOUR REQUIREMENTS AND COLLECT YOUR DOCUMENTS
- Know the requirements for the license you are pursuing.
- Request and gather all documents required to upload on the Attachments page. All information and forms are located on your profession’s webpages.
ATTACHING AND ACKNOWLEDGING DOCUMENTS
On the ATTACHMENTS page of your application, you may be instructed to:
- either “attach” or “upload” the required document(s) directly to your application. This means you will find the document(s) saved on your computer or device and upload it to your application.
- click “acknowledge” . This means you will either have to mail the documents yourself or request the “third-party” mail the document(s) directly to the Board office.
- Examples of “third-party forms” are transcripts from schools, employment verifications from a supervisor, and license verifications from another state.
- Forms requiring a supervisor signature, seal, or notary may have to be MAILED to the Board office directly UNLESS the document specifically indicates to UPLOAD the document.
The requirements for this license type are provided in the following section(s).
In addition to submitting the application and fee in DELPROS, you must submit:
- A Verification or Letter of Good Standing of your current licensure as a funeral service practitioner in either Maryland or Pennsylvania, sent directly from each state to the Board office.