Click HERE for Important Information for Licensees struggling with mental health or substance abuse issues.

If you are unable to reach us by phone, submit your inquiry via email at More Info logo
Division of
Professional Regulation

Physician M.D. or D.O. Reapplication

When to Reapply as a Physician M.D. or D.O.

Reapply as a physician if you were previously licensed in Delaware but your Delaware license has expired AND is no longer renewable.

Instructions on How to Reapply for Licensure

All applications are submitted through our online licensure system, DELPROS. We no longer accept paper applications.

LOG IN or CREATE a DELPROS (Delaware Professional Regulation Online Services) user account:

  1. Go to: DELPROS Home Page.
  2. Click GO on the Apply/Manage a License and Service Requests tile.
  3. If you do not have a DELPROS user account, click the REGISTER button on the left side of page under NEW USERS.
  4. If you already have a DELPROS user account, enter your email address and password on the right side under EXISTING USERS, then click LOGIN.
  5. Navigate to your expired physician license.
  6. From OPTIONS menu, click Reapply.

DELPROS allows you to save your incomplete application and return to it later to finish the process. You only have six (6) months to submit your application once you begin.

  • If you do not submit your application within six months of starting it, you will be required to restart the entire online application again.

You may check the status of your application online throughout the entire application process by using the “View Application Status” feature in DELPROS on your e-License dashboard.


  1. Know the requirements for the license you are pursuing.
  2. Request and gather all documents required to upload on the Attachments page. All information and forms are located on your profession’s webpages.


On the ATTACHMENTS page of your application, you may be instructed to:

  • either “attach” or “upload” the required document(s) directly to your application. This means you will find the document(s) saved on your computer or device and upload it to your application.
  • click “acknowledge” . This means you will either mail the documents yourself or request the “third-party” to mail the document(s) directly to the Board office.
    • Examples of “third-party forms” are transcripts from schools, employment verifications from a supervisor, or license verifications from another state.
  • Forms requiring a supervisor signature, seal, or notary may have to be MAILED to the Board office directly UNLESS the document specifically indicates to UPLOAD the document.


  • Request a self-query from the National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB) website at When you receive the report, upload the report in your application.
  • Complete and sign the Delaware Child Protection Registry Consent Form, upload the consent form in your application
  • A State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background check (CBC). Go to the Criminal Background Check Process page to find the Service Code required to obtain a State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background check. Once you have your Service Code, you will be directed to the IdentoGO website for instructions to complete the fingerprinting process.
    • Criminal background checks completed for any other purpose (e.g., employment, licensure in other states) will not meet this requirement.
  • Upload proof of 40 hours of Category I AMA Continuing Medical Education that you have completed in the past two years.
  • Unless an exception listed below applies, obtain and upload a Service Letter from each healthcare facility where you currently have, or had within the past three years, either direct patient access or admitting or staff privileges. A responsible physician at the facility must sign the form.
    • You were practicing as an intern, resident, fellow, or house physician for the past three years.
    • Your practice for the past three years was via telemedicine with no direct patient access.
    • You were locum tenens with no direct patient access for the past three years.
  • If you ever held a medical or training license in any jurisdiction (state, District of Columbia, or U.S. territory) other than Delaware, you must provide a license verification from each jurisdiction where you currently hold or have held a license.
    • You may wish to obtain an AMA Profile or AOA Profile in order to make sure that you request verifications of all licenses that you have ever held.
    • If a jurisdiction utilizes VeriDoc to process license verifications, you must request the verification from VeriDoc, not from the jurisdiction. VeriDoc will send the verification directly to the Board office. For a list, click VeriDoc Participating States.
    • If you have ever held an Indiana license, request a digitally certified verification at
  • If any of the following describes your situation, obtain two letters of reference from physicians who are familiar with you but are not related to you:
    • You have practiced only as an intern, resident, fellow or house physician, or
    • You were self-employed for the entire past three years, or
    • You had no direct patient access during the past three years, or
    • One or more of the facilities where you had direct patient access in the past three years no longer exists.
    • One or more of the facilities where you had direct patient access in the past three years no longer exists.

Controlled Substance Registration

  • The application for Physician licensure is NOT an application for a controlled substance registration (CSR). For the CSR application and instructions, see Controlled Substances Registration – Practitioners.
  • If you apply for your Physician license and CSR at the same time, the Controlled Substance application will be processed after your Physician license is issued. When your Delaware CSR is approved, you must then file for a federal DEA registration.


Related Topics:  , , , , , , ,