Expiration dates for renewable licenses expiring on 8/31/20 have been extended until 9/30/20. If you are unable to reach us by phone, submit your inquiry via email at customerservice.dpr@delaware.gov. Please read the important COVID-19 information from the Division of Professional Regulation. More Info

Delaware.gov logo
Division of
Professional Regulation

Pharmacist Licensure by Examination or Score Transfer

When to Apply

How you apply for a Pharmacist license depends on:

  • whether you have passed the North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination (NAPLEX) and
  • if so, when you passed it
  • whether you requested a score transfer to Delaware and
  • whether you are already licensed in another jurisdiction (state, U.S. territory or District of Columbia).

You should apply by Examination if you:

  • have not passed the NAPLEX and want Delaware to be your primary state for eligibility   OR
  • have passed the NAPLEX more than one year ago and are not licensed in any other state/jurisdiction.

You should apply by Score Transfer if you:

  • have not passed the NAPLEX yet but applied to take it in another state and requested to have your scores transferred to Delaware   OR
  • have passed the NAPLEX less than one year ago and requested to have your scores transferred to Delaware when you took it.

If neither of the above situations applies to you, you must apply by Licensure Transfer (Reciprocity).

Internship Requirement

Whether you are applying by Examination or Score Transfer, you must complete 1,500 hours of Board-approved pre-licensure experience before you can be considered for licensure as a Pharmacist.  If you have not completed all 1,500 hours and you wish to attain any remaining hours while working in Delaware, you must submit an Intern Registration application instead of this application. You need a permit to work as a Pharmacist Intern in a Delaware Pharmacy.

Information on How to Apply for a License in DELPROS

Applications are processed in DELPROS (Delaware Professional Regulation Online Services). The online license application process is simple and provides you with clear instructions throughout each stage of the application process. We strongly recommend that you understand what the requirements are for the license you are pursuing. Then, request and gather the documents you need before you begin the application process. Most of the information and forms are on this website. For further clarification of requirements, refer to your profession’s License Law and the Rules and Regulations.

In order to apply for a license or service request, you must have a DELPROS account. To create a new account or log into an existing DELPROS account, follow the instructions at the beginning of the application process. As part of the final steps of the application process, DELPROS instructs you to either “attach” or “upload” the required documents directly to your application and/or to “acknowledge” that you will either send them in yourself or make arrangements for “third-party” documents/forms to be sent to the Board office. Examples of “third-party forms” are transcripts from schools, employment verifications from a supervisor, and license verifications from another state. These forms usually require a signature, seal, or notary, therefore, must be mailed into the Board office directly. All documents received by mail are scanned and attached to the appropriate license records.

In DELPROS, you have the ability to save your application and return to it to edit/update information or upload documents for up to six months. However, if you do not submit your application within six months, you will have to restart your online application process. The Board office begins processing applications shortly after submission in the portal. You may check the status of your application in the DELPROS system throughout the whole process and we will correspond with you by email. The requirements for this license type are provided in the following section(s).

Requirements for All Applicants

The following are required for all applications, regardless of whether you are applying by Examination or Score Transfer. In addition to submitting the application and fee in DELPROS, you must submit:

  • State of Delaware and Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background checks (CBC). Follow the instructions on the Criminal History Record Check Authorization form to arrange to be fingerprinted. Submit the forms and payment to the State Bureau of Identification (SBI). Do not send these forms to the Board office.
    • Allow at least four weeks for the SBI to send criminal history records to the Board office.
    • A new criminal background check is required even if the person recently had a criminal background check done for some other reason.
  • Proof of your pharmacy education:
    • If you graduated from a school or college of pharmacy in the U.S., arrange for your school/college to submit a Certificate of Graduation Form completed directly to the Board office.
    • If you graduated from a school or college of pharmacy outside the U.S., submit a copy of your Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Committee (FPGEC) Certificate. To apply for the FPGEC, go to www.nabp.pharmacy.
    • If you have not yet graduated from a school or college of pharmacy, see the Registering to Take the Examination section below.
  • Proof that you have completed 1,500 hours of Board-approved internship. Proof consists of any of these that apply:
    • College Practical Experience Form completed by your school or college of pharmacy for practicum hours and sent directly to the Board office
    • An Affidavit of Intern Experience form(s) to document any pre-licensure or internship hours you’ve worked in a Pharmacy, completed by your preceptor and sent directly to the Board office.
    • A transfer of internship hours from another state sent directly from each jurisdiction’s Board of Pharmacy to the Delaware Board office

Registering to Take the Examination

You must register with NABP to take the Multi-State Pharmacy Jurisprudence Examination (MPJE) and, if you have not already passed it, the NAPLEX. To register, go to www.nabp.pharmacy. You should register with NABP at the same time you submit this application. The Board office can only make you eligible to take the exam if you are registered with NABP.

The Board office can make you eligible to take the exam when you have submitted the following item in addition to the application and fee in DELPROS.

  • Proof of your education as follows:
    • If you have graduated, the Board must receive either the Certificate of Graduation or FPGEC, whichever applies.
    • If you have not yet graduated, submit an official letter from your school or college of pharmacy stating that you have met all requirements for graduation. The letter must be sent directly from the school or college to the Board office. This letter is sufficient only to allow you to take the examination; it is not sufficient proof of education for licensure.

When the Board office makes you eligible, NABP will send you an Authorization to Test letter that will explain how to schedule your examination.

For help on preparing for the MPJE, see MPJE Study Material.

NABP will notify you of the results. If you pass the exam, all of the items listed in the Requirements for All Applications section above will be required before your Pharmacist license is issued.

Re-Taking an Examination

If you did not pass an exam, you must wait before you can re-take the exam as follows:

  • 91 days after failing the NAPLEX
  • 31 days after failing the MPJE

To re-take an exam, you must re-register on www.nabp.pharmacy and the Board office must re-confirm your eligibility. For more information about re-taking the exams, see Section 1.2 of the Board’s Rules and Regulations.



Related Topics:  , , ,