Division of
Professional Regulation

Controlled Substances Registration – Physician Assistants

These instructions apply only to Physician Assistants.

General Information

  • If you don’t already have prescriptive authority when you file this CSR application, you should receive your CSR 3-4 weeks after your prescriptive authority is approved. Please allow the 3-4 weeks to elapse before calling the office.
  • Your Delaware CSR certificate and all CSR-related correspondence must be mailed to the same address as your PA license.
  • You need only one Delaware CSR to prescribe controlled substances in Delaware even if you prescribe controlled substances at more than one Delaware business/practice or more than one location of a business/practice. However, every Delaware location where controlled substances are dispensed/stored must be covered by a CSR. If no other practitioner (e.g., physician), physician assistant or APRN holds a Delaware CSR for a location where you will store/dispense, as well as prescribe, controlled substances, you must file for an additional CSR for the location in Question 13 of the application.
  • When your Delaware CSR is approved, you must then file for a federal DEA registration for Delaware.  You must have both a Delaware CSR and DEA registration for Delaware before you prescribe controlled substances in Delaware.  A DEA registration in another jurisdiction is not sufficient for prescribing controlled substances in Delaware.

Requirements for All Applicants

  • Enclose the non-refundable processing fee by check or money order made payable to “State of Delaware.” The total fee depends on how many controlled substance registrations you are applying for. Multiply the fee on the Fee Schedule by the number of registrations applied for in Question 2 of the application (not the controlled substance schedule in Question 6).
  • Arrange for your main supervising Physician and for all alternate supervising Physicians to complete and sign the boxes in the SUPERVISION section.
  • Complete the one-hour Mandatory Course training on Delaware law, regulation and programs on prescribing and distribution of controlled substances.

Reporting Supervisory Changes

  • If you have only one supervising physician and the supervisory relationship terminates, your CSR becomes null and void. You must notify the Office of Controlled Substances and return your certificate.
  • If your supervising Physician(s) changes—including new/additional supervisors or departing supervisors—you must file a Physician Assistant Application for Prescriptive Authority form to report the change. For example, if you already hold a Delaware CSR and you take a second job at another Delaware practice where you will prescribe (but not store/dispense) controlled substances, you must report your supervising physician at the new job even though you do not need another Delaware CSR in this situation.

Related Topics:  , , , ,